Haiku Existing haiku push notifications will end at the end of Feb 2017

Generally this is what you need to do:

- Open the Terminal on the Mac running HaikuHelper
- Type in: sudo nano /etc/hosts
- Enter your administrator password (you will be prompted by sudo)
- Add a line at the bottom: 199.19.85.253 push.haikuautomation.com
- Hit CTRL+X to exit, you will be prompted to save -- save the file

You can test if you have it working by typing:

ping push.haikuautomation.com

You should see replies from the IP above.

lupinglade said:
Generally this is what you need to do:

- Open the Terminal on the Mac running HaikuHelper
- Type in: sudo nano /etc/hosts
- Enter your administrator password (you will be prompted by sudo)
- Add a line at the bottom: 199.19.85.253 push.haikuautomation.com
- Hit CTRL+X to exit, you will be prompted to save -- save the file

You can test if you have it working by typing:

You should see replies from the IP above.
Great. Just checking--is there a space between nano and /etc/hosts? I know that you have to be real careful with Terminal and sudo.
Also, once done, can I just use Haiku Helper on my Mac and test push notifications that way?
Thanks for the fast help.

jpposin said:
Great. Just checking--is there a space between nano and /etc/hosts? I know that you have to be real careful with Terminal and sudo.
Also, once done, can I just use Haiku Helper on my Mac and test push notifications that way?
Thanks for the fast help.

Yes there is a space. And yes once you make the edit you should be able to test it right away. Worst case you may have to restart HaikuHelper. Test with a ping first.

lupinglade said:
Yes there is a space. And yes once you make the edit you should be able to test it right away. Worst case you may have to restart HaikuHelper. Test with a ping first.
Worked perfectly. Thanks. All good. BTW did not need to restart HaikuHelper.
Please keep us posted on your new app.

<command>+spacebar => type terminal, hit enter
echo "199.19.85.253     push.haikuautomation.com" | sudo tee -a /etc/hosts
enter your password

I did the edit (using the GUI, just added permissions on the folder and file), and clicked send test notification, and VOILA.

So thanks much for the info for this, saved my ass with some customers, and some income.  Hope to see some new stuff being released soon!

Not sure what Leviton would have to do with this.  It looks to me like someone else owns the haikuautomation.com domain.  Some place called marksmen.com owns it.  They're some sort of brand protection service.  My guess is nullriver got hassled by them, or didn't want their services anymore, and lost the domain for some reason (which seems pretty lame)

networkcrasher said:
<command>+spacebar => type terminal, hit enter
echo "199.19.85.253     push.haikuautomation.com" | sudo tee -a /etc/hosts
enter your password

Do you enter the quotes?    Assume this commands vs. adding the line (which I didn't understand in the original instructions)?  thanks.  

It is working only on one of our iPads, but nothing else. Neither my wife's iPhone or mine, or any other iPad. I've checked to make sure all settings are identical to the working iPad. Push notifications have always worked before. Any ideas?

That change should not have affected the other iPads, so I'm not sure what might be causing that. You can try turning push notifications of and back on on the iOS device.

I've tried that plus restarting my phone and haiku helper. Also, I've looked at my devices side by side to make sure all the settings are identical. Odd it only works on one device and none of the others.

Back