Haiku Existing haiku push notifications will end at the end of Feb 2017

suave

Just received a push notification from haiku app, that notifications will not longer continue after feb 2017. There is something new that will replace it.
I didn't screen capture the message but does anyone know about this change?

No I didn't know but I just saw this as well.  Boy am I upset.  At least not to have something lined up.  I would be happy to have the capability locally on my own machine if possible but to discontinue it really sucks when you have depended on it for years!

A replacement is coming, as mentioned in other posts on this board. We're working hard to make it available as soon as possible.

Likely you'll be forced to use that pile of junk Space, that hasn't been updated since June 26, 2015.

Worst app purchase ever. I still use Haiku because it's not a pile of crap.

What I don't understand is why they would turn off the push notifications before the new solution is in place... that sounds like a sure-fire way to upset your entire user base. Given the history of schedule slips for the next version of the product, it seems REALLY risky to set a turn-off date before the new product is out and tested.

For the record, as long as the new product is decent, I have no problem paying for another version. The Space release was obviously a huge disappointment, but I'm not going to complain about the money I lost on that product if it helps them get to a truly worthy successor to Haiku. What I will get upset about is losing my very important push notifications before the new product is ready for prime time. Even if the new product was released tomorrow, it's going to take time to move all of the scripts and current Haiku Helper functionality to the new platform, so I can't see how this ends well for any of us who currently rely on HH's push notifications for critical security and automation functions. Best case scenario has us scrambling to port and test our setups in a very short time window. Worst case is that we're stuck with no notifications for some number of weeks or months and forced to ditch the entire product line in favor of some other solution that's available now.

Lupinglade, would you consider moving the push notification termination date to some time AFTER the new product is out and shown to be running well? It would let us sleep a lot better knowing we're not driving off a cliff in 27 days.

As much as we'd like to extend it further, there is a licensing issue with the domain its being hosted on and we have already requested an extension to get us these 30 days.

Just something to think about.... If you moved the push notification host to another provider, local users could create an entry in their hosts file that would associate the domain in question with a (new) specific IP address that you provide (of the new hosting server).  No change to the helper app would be necessary as it would look up the name in the hosts file before doing a DNS lookup.

JonW said:
Just something to think about.... If you moved the push notification host to another provider, local users could create an entry in their hosts file that would associate the domain in question with a (new) specific IP address that you provide (of the new hosting server).  No change to the helper app would be necessary as it would look up the name in the hosts file before doing a DNS lookup.

We can see if we can do this, but I don't think it would help many users?

have you no statistics on who uses the service and how often?  I think all people are after is a stop gap fix until you release a replacement.

You should be able to create a local hosts entry for push.haikuautomation.com to point to the same address it is currently pointing at. That should keep it working for the time being. However after the end of the month the service is officially discontinued -- it may continue to work using this hosts trick for the time being but it is unsupported.

for posterity's sake
host push.haikuautomation.com
push.haikuautomation.com is an alias for haikuautomation.com.
haikuautomation.com has address 199.19.85.253

Back