Haiku Existing haiku push notifications will end at the end of Feb 2017

Any way to get a look at the code involved on the server side so we can try to create our own host to do the pushes?

You might want to try something like fiddler or wireshark to capture the communication.  If it's not encrypted, then should be easy.

Lupinglade, when you say using the hosts file hack may keep it working "for the time being", are you saying it should keep working after the end of the month (even if it's not officially supported this way)?  I rely on the push notifications extensively, so given that it seems unlikely I'll have your new software up and running within the next 2 weeks, this is pretty important for me.

Where is the new software?! I am in but I want to know what and where it is?!  How will you have it running in 2 weeks?

"We can see if we can do this, but I don't think it would help many users?"

Yes of course it would help. You could charge for a download patch, you could charge for a new service to use. You could release a small update to HH and charge money.
You release an alpha of Space sever that does push for Haiku and Maybe Space?

Please do something. I would be happy to pay for a domain and point it to your or someone's server and someone could update a host file and people could download it, for money even.

So so so many things could be done. Waiting for maybe some release of something that won't measure up to haiku for some time won't keep existing customers and will kill the future of your current efforts as the people will move on. As well as Leviton has been busily killing HAI, and new technology coming out, if push goes away and haiku goes away (gone), my Customers need something. Even entertaining replacing systems. You need money? Release SOMETHING and charge for it. You don't have the resources, licence/sell Rights to Haiku and haikuhelper so someone else can patch and sell it for now.

BTW, ICT has their own app now in beta. Has so far free built in push, events, access control and security, all web based and a pretty good system. Doesn't do all hai does, yet for security, push, app, Easy to use is an option. Their WX is what I am Needing to spec for sites as they had great tech support and are available and does push.

I have to deliver something for my customers by th end of this month, if I can patch, great. Huge feature that people want without being tethered to alarm.com like hefty pricing.
So if i can rely on the server working via IP, great. If you could sell us a small update or hosts file or alpha or something, great. Money in your pocket and you show support for your existing customers. Don't and you support your continued abscence and we all have to move on. Please re release Haiku. Can sell it now, until hell freezes over or Space AND space server are ready to replace it.

Thanks and please respond.

Also, sad my customers have to tell me push is ending. Not everyone is getting effective notification. You certainly pushed your space app regularly through Haiku push.

Lupinglade, I agree that you could almost certainly collect enough money from your current users to continue supporting push notifications.  Is the licensing issue for a domain name, or is it some third party app you are relying on to perform the push function?  As I've stated in the past, I'm willing to pay for new updates / functions (although I tend not to like the monthly subscription models).  Despite Haiku being an older product, it works quite well and when combined with Haiku Helper it provides an impressive amount of functionality, and the user interface is simple and efficient (even if it's not as "beautiful" as more modern apps).  I would gladly pay for a new version of Haiku that fixes the unpleasant light colored background issue (as many people have noted) and allowed push to continue working for the foreseeable future.  In theory this should be a minimal amount of work for you and it would bring you some revenue to support continued development of the next gen product, all while keeping your current customers happy.  I'm not anxious to have to find a new solution (which almost certainly won't be as nice or as powerful as Haiku), but if push notifications cease to function a week from now, that's going to be a problem, especially if there's not a definitive release date for your next product.

More than anything, I would like to hear very clearly what we should expect to happen with push a week from now (assuming we made the hosts file hack) and what the release date for the new software will be.

So where's the new software. Some beta users chimed in but is the new app coming before the push has expired? I'm a single user but I have a lot of sympathy for those who rely on space / haiku as a part of their business and livelihood. I want the new software approved prior please!!!

Seems lupinglade doesn't like to respond to such pleas.....

@lupinglade How might we all help, as a community, make things happen. Like push server? Domains? Create instructions or new host file to drop in place? Alpha test app and server app? Help create income to support development? I can get maybe rack space and i have macs. Not into doing coding myself anymore.

We've posted a workaround regarding the push notifications, if you want to keep them working it is certainly possible by adding a hosts entry. The issue is just the domain, but if you point the hostname to the right IP it will continue to work for now.

We are just getting ready to start doing more broad Alpha testing of the new product which is much more than Haiku/Helper ever were. We'd be happy to work on building a community, especially since the new product is very extensible and there will be lots of opportunity for users to contribute and everyone can benefit.

Again, any installers or uses who need the push service, you can get it to continue working by adding a hosts entry for push.haikuautomation.com to point to 199.19.85.253

2MuchTech said:
Lupinglade, when you say using the hosts file hack may keep it working "for the time being", are you saying it should keep working after the end of the month (even if it's not officially supported this way)?  I rely on the push notifications extensively, so given that it seems unlikely I'll have your new software up and running within the next 2 weeks, this is pretty important for me.

We will keep it working for a while longer, at least until there is a proper replacement I think. There is no issue with the server itself, its just a domain licensing (name license) issue.

The new product will be a full home automation system with much more power than Haiku or HaikuHelper. It will still fully integrate with your Omni system, but also much more other hardware. It also expands on programming and integration ability in a huge way. Please bear with us as we're getting it ready for you, we're a small company and are working lots of overtime to get this ready ASAP.

For those of us not as savvy, can you post detailed instructions on how to add the hosts entry? Is this done in Haiku Helper or the Haiku app, or somewhere else? I really need a 'bridge' to keep Haiku push notifications coming until the new app is released. Thanks.

Back