What is wrong with ELK Products inc.?

wojeda

I am not sure this one belong in here, but I do own an M1 so maybe that qualifies...

What is going on at ELK? I mean, why do they only write software for Windoze? There are thousands out there that have been waiting to be able to use their $2500 iMacs on their M1's (me included), and this company is forcing us to run Windoze in virtual mode? Blasphemy!

I mean COME ON! What is going on over there? Are they so into themselves as to think the entire world runs on Microsoft junk?

The last stab to the heart was that M1toGo application. Again. Windoze only!!!

Why not fire some of those .NET quasi-developers and hire some "REAL" developers that can write OSX or Linux apps huh?

Does any one have any idea? Any clue as to in which hole is the upper management of ELK Products is sticking their heads up to?

Thanks for that...

I haven't read a "oh... this software is excellent is it ever going to be written for Mac?" post in a while!

I thought you Mac guys would be used to that by now :eek:

It's particularly interesting given the almost completely insular nature of Apple. But, ultimately the likely answer is that supporting a significant application on multiple platforms is a very high cost for a small company like Elk, which isn't a software company really.

Nope, no punch line here. I am dead serious!

I get that the apps they create are not the best you've ever seen. Even in Windows they suck. But! My point was, even if it is true they can't afford the extra developers, get rid of some of some of those drag-n-drop fellers and get some one that can target other platforms. Hell, I'd even settle for a Java based app that I can run native to OSX or Linux rather than me having to fire up Parallels just so I can talk to my ELK. Sometimes I just reach for my iPhone I hate Windoze so much.

I appreciate your point here, but I really don't think, in this particular case, is about money. I think they can afford it just fine. But they have to want to get out of the hole they dug themselves into years ago. I honestly believe there is a deeper reason as to why, for years on end, we have been seen the Microsoft Logo flag flapping in the air at ELK Products head quarters.

The market share of people doing automation and running Mac's is very small. It doesn't make much business sense for them at all.

I recently posted a way to get ElkRMS running using Wine on OSX - it's better than loading a whole VM. But generally I just use my phone if I'm sitting at my Mac; or you could use the XEP's interface.

<snip>. Hell, I'd even settle for a Java based app that I can run native to OSX or Linux rather than me having to fire up Parallels just so I can talk to my ELK. Sometimes I just reach for my iPhone I hate Windoze so much.<snip>

The XEP has an embedded java applet.

I get you guys. With the exception of that troll there, I know there are work arounds. I know if I want to try hard enough I can do things other than loading my VM.

But this is more about ELK as a company itself. I wonder what could be the reasoning behind a business decision like this. All it takes is to google ELK M1 + Mac and tons of entries pop up with what appears to be legitimate users asking, in fact, begging for ELK to provide Mac native software to run their ELK product. Under the assuption that these are not prefabricated claims by one single entity, I came to cocoontech where I know people chiming in would have some knowledge. I was hoping to have a show of hands to see if this is indeed reality, or am I walking this path alone, in which case the original question has been answered.

I would love to see some ELK reasearch, heck, any research, where it has been proven beyond any doubt, that the Apple user base is not relevant enough to warrant a native app.

I don't know if something like that has ever been tried.

Maybe if there was a pettiion website like many others out there, with enough people requesting it, maybe ELK would listen.

Thanks Jay - I had gone to your website to see if Elk was mentioned but didn't see it - otherwise I would've proposed that in my last post.

Perhaps a better way to get Elk's attention could be a Poll - even here on CT asking how many users are interested - rather than flaming posts accusing them of not knowing how to run their company.

If enough interest is generated, maybe even Jayson (creator of eKeypad) could fill the gap easily - afterall he already has all the code written in XCode for his iOS apps - I would imagine it could port easily.

It's just the typical "a bunch of EE's think they are programmers too" problem. Us CompSci's actually do learn stuff in those classes we take... :)

I agree with the O.P, Elk needs to use open platforms and needs support on Linux, OSx, and Android platforms. Think of all the revenue they are losing. And It's not just Mac and it's not just Elk. All you HA guys need to think beyond Windows. Apple made a big dent in Microsoft's market share in the last 5 years with the IPhone and IPad, and Google followed suit. Like it or not, the sun is setting on Microsoft and PC's in general....

What other manufacturers of Security/Automation Controllers are doing what you ask? Last I checked (its been a while) GE, Ademco, Napco, DSC etc dont. Never checked HAI. Do any of these mfg's support anything but Windows for Programming etc? Most of these mfgs are geared towards Professional installers who traditionally use PC's (probably because they are cheap).

I've spent about 25 years working in industrial automation, and trust me, there are far larger companies that offer their software for Windows PCs only. And to be honest, I don't think anyone in the industry cares very much. The perception out there in the working world is ... PCs for work, Macs for play.

So, if a company like Rockwell Automation, who sells 5-6 billion dollars worth of software and Allen-Bradley PLCs per year doesn't produce a single software product for apple OS, why would Elk be bothered?

Back