WebControl vs. Arduino

mtgoat

Could anyone, who has experienced/researched these devices, summarize the pros & cons of each?

Each clearly has strengths and limitations, however difficult to compare side-by-side, especially for those who have experience with neither yet.

Wow, I surprised we didn't get a few comments. Well here goes my take.on this:

To start the Arduino doesn't come preprogrammed with anything, the Ethernet is an add on (and increases the cost). The WebControll is ready to plug in and be accessed by a browser. But to be made useful someone needs to do a little programming outside the WebControl to either interface it to you HA program or to control it directly.

The short list:

Web Control
  • less expensive
  • ready to use out of the box
  • built in user language
Arduino
  • More flexible
  • very expandable
  • more powerful alternative CPUs available with similar costs (Pinguino32, ARM derivatives, TI derivatives, etc.)
It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Programming the Arduino is done with C/C++ and you are limited to it's resources. If you program for the Web Control you can pretty much choose you language.

I think Arduino is for people know C/C++ and no difference from PIC prototype boards. If you don't know C and don't want to learn C/C++ you will not be able to do anything with it.

Webcontrol also allow programming to perfoem user wanted actions in addition to included functions, it can be used without any programming for monitoring and control.

The similarity is they both having PCB looking. The difference is like flour vs. cake.

I think cost is the big one if you want Ethernet and basic I/O. If you want to build a device which interfaces hardware using a special protocol, then Arduino is the way to go. I have an Arduino board myself, with the intention to control all aspects of my pool, but I definitely would like to give the WebControl unit a try.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a HUGE aftermarket for the Arduino, and a HUGE community, so it's extremely easy to get help if you can't figure something out (but I hope this will change now that I created a dedicated WebControl subforum ;))

Good points, all, thanks. Along with basic I/O (temperature, relays, sensors), one additional need is automating open/close of a skylight. I understand this could be done with a stepper motor and Arduino shield, but possibly beyond the capabilities of a WebControl.

I don't see why it couldn't be done with a webcontrol. The web control would provide the open/close signal to a stepper motor driver circuit that would run the motor. Not all that different from the Arduino providing a signal to an Arduino motor control shield that controls a stepper motor. Might be easier with an arduino simply because there is likely code available to do very similar things so you don't have to start from scratch.

That and the "driver" for the Servo is PWM...the Arduino will drive different rates of PWM to make the servo turn at the rate and direction you want. You'd have to figure out something for the web control circuit.

For instance, I like the idea of driving FAST when you KNOW you are many revolutions from the end stop. Then as you get closer and closer you slow the speed until you get to the end stop (measure the current draw of the servo). Then adjust the end points as necessary. This also works well if something gets STUCK...the servo will overcurrent in a strange place, so you just stop the servo and light up an fault LED.

--Dan

If you use this PWM baord to drive your skylight control motor, with method 1 listed in this controller board, you can control the open and close of skylight. If the PWM controller you use can provide a feedback for over current, then you can use WebControl to detect that from a TTL input or analog input, then stop the motor.

http://www.ebay.com/...W-/221077443576

You might also consider the Netduino which is kind of an in-between for many people. The Netduino has a similar form-factor to the Arduino and will even accept many of the Arduino shields. The benefit of the Netduino is you can write using a more modern language (C# .NET) and even use the modern debugging facilities of Visual Studio.

Like someone else mentioned, the Arduino has a pretty big following so there is a lot of code already out there, a lot of hardware support (shields), and a lot of user support via forums, etc.

Just checked on Amazon, Netduino is no longer sold. Current offer is Netduino plus. But that board only is $59.95, more expansive than WebControl.. If you really like to write your own firmware, you can get free XC8 compiler from Microchip and write your own program on WebControl baord for much less.

Back