UPB Interoperability - Mix SA & HAI modules?

tannebil

I've got about a dozen Simply Automated switches, I/O modules, a PIM, and phase coupler. I recently installed an Omni LTe controller with an HA UPB PIM.  I've left the SA PIM on my computer to use with UpStart to program my devices.

So far everything is working fine and I've had zero problems with the SA UPB devices and the Omni.  I have not had any communication problems with my UPB network and the SA switches have worked fine. However, I'm going to be installing additional switches and wondered if I need to be considering switching to HAI switches instead.

Opinions?

You should be fine. I've a mix of brands with no problems.

The only area where I had a problem was with phase couplers. There are inverting and non-inverting. In my home the HAI non-inverting devices worked better, at least according to the tests that can be done in SA.

I haven't purchased any items in awhile but when I bought the units I have SA was using an older version of the UPB "firmware" then the HAI devices.

There is a firm (Web Mountain) which makes the SA devices with the newer firmware. I don't know what SA is currently using.

I prefer the feel and design of the SA devices but do have several HAI devices for which is there no equivalent from SA.

What's driving you towards HAI?  

There are different theories on Gen I/Gen II/Gen III and how much difference there is - SA believes that they've overcome the shortcomings of Gen I in their switches and they're as good as the Gen II without the marketing fluff or licensing... I use 100% SAI installed modules; for lamp/relay modules I have a variety of HAL, SAI and PCS and have zero issues.

SA is definitely more affordable - so if it's working for you and suits your needs I'd stick there - I'm not sure about you, but I like 100% uniformity in look and feel.

Nothing is driving me towards HAI except that I'm now using an HAI controller and an HAI PIM and wondered if there was anything I might be overlooking.  For example, I changed out the four incandescent overhead bulbs in the garage for LED bulbs (Phillips L-Prize) and my SA switch didn't really work that well in that dimming to lower levels results in the lights pulsing every time a UPB transmission occurred in the house. After talking to SA, the solution was to add more of a load in the line by replacing one of the LED's with a 60W incandescent.  I see that HAI offers a switch deliberately marketed for dimming CFL/LED. I have no idea if that would work any better but wouldn't want to bother trying in it turns out (for example) that my SA phase coupler means that using HAI across phases will be dicy.  

The only interoperability issue I recall reading about was when using an HAI repeater with SA switches.

My understanding of the HAI switch is that it can have some sort of limit set that reflects the limits of the LED bulb - like starting at 15% vs 0, etc... no real world experience with them though.  It seems like all these switches need a good update to provide better LED support though IMO... it shouldn't take too much.

HAI repeater will do nothing to or for SAI switches - Gen I doesn't work through repeaters - although I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the newer SAI stuff will actually repeat too - but without facts to back that up, I won't swear to it.

Back