These look interesting

I didn't see anything about an API for the LIFX. Being the programmer geek that I am an API for me is a must.

Edit: after I looked closer I do see where they are promising an SDK. I'll have to keep an eye on these.

Yea they have showed off some aspects of that LIFX bulb, I ordered several bulbs as well, planning on using them to notify me of certain events.

The Philips Hue starter kit is $199.95 in the apple store, I am thinking of trying it out using their API, also just for fun. I can't think of any practical purpose either ;)

I already rely on flashing certain lights to notify of events (i.e., flash bath room light if one is in the shower, and an exterior door, such as the garage door, opens), so being able to control the color would a huge bonus.  I want to install these LIFX bulbs in strategic locations, so I can relay events such as 'Mail has arrived', 'Garage door is open', etc.  Lots of potential (and useful) use for sure!

picta said:
The Philips Hue starter kit is $199.95 in the apple store, I am thinking of trying it out using their API, also just for fun. I can't think of any practical purpose either ;)
That 'just' works with iOS though right?

No, first post in this thread has the link to the API/SDK.  I believe someone has them working with Homeseer as well.

There's been a 3rd party plugin to control the Hue lights from Indigo for some time now. The developer confirmed that he's already basically using the newly published API (it had already been reverse engineered). We have several users using them and they seem pleased so far.

Back