State of Z-Wave Support

rsw686

I was about to pull the trigger to purchase 20 dimmers and a few keypads for a RadioRA 2 system when I saw discounthomeautomation.com has Vizia RF+ VRMX1-1LZ dimmers for $43. This would cut the cost in half assuming it works. I'm skeptical as I keep reading posts about Z-Wave range issues, turn on/off delay issues, and the integration of scenes with the OmniPro controller. Status updates on the keypads is important to me as the ability to call a scene from the OmniPro. Obviously I would rather spend the money on RadioRA 2 if Z-Wave is going to be problematic.

Why not consider UPB if you are using HAI as a controller? Viza is probably the best z-wave brand out there, but z-wave is not the best of tech

picta said:
Why not consider UPB if you are using HAI as a controller? Viza is probably the best z-wave brand out there, but z-wave is not the best of tech

I had UPB at the previous house. It worked well, but the HLC layout is limiting for scenes across rooms. If you just use links you loose the status tracking. I liked the double tap feature, but with HAI switches you couldn't set the local dimmer to unused. This means the local switch always had to go to some level on a double tap. The PulseWorx switches have this option, but are $75 per switch. At that price it isn't much more to go RadioRA 2 and I would gain the timeclock features (editable from iPhone) without having to fill the OmniPro with rules. I'm also slightly concerned that when I add a generator UPB might not work correctly.

Here I have a small Z-Wave network and Leviton serial PIM sitting adjacent to metal conduit next to the fuse panel in the basement.

The Z-Wave appliance / light modules connected to this network has always worked for me and they are spread out all over the house; IE: 2nd floor, main floor and some are outdoors.

The Leviton OPII panel Z-Wave network is one of a few that I am running here today.

All of the in wall light switches today are UPB.  New ones are all SA while older ones are HAI and PCS.   I am not utilizing the HLC layout configuration with my OPII panel at this time.

I did a quick bench test between a HAI CFL UPB dimmer, RadioRA 2 6CL dimmer, and RadioRA 2 6NA dimmer with an incandescent bulb, the original Cree A19 bulb and the new Cree A19 4Flow bulb. I didn't purchase a Z-Wave dimmer to test as I think you guys are right that the tech isn't as reliable.

HAI CFL UPB dimmer: Both LED bulbs would flicker after pressing the paddle when the UPB pulses are sent out. The original Cree bulb had a slight buzzing noise. All bulbs dimmed to a low light level. I'm still not a fan of the dimming curve as it drops the light level quickly over the 5% then evens out for the rest of the range.

RadioRA 2 6CL: All three bulbs don't dim as low as the other dimmers. The original Cree LED bulb had a slight buzzing to it at any level. The Cree 4Flow bulb works great.

RadioRA 2 6NA: No flickering or buzzing for any of the bulbs. All bulbs dimmed to a low light level.

Since this is an older house, built in the 80s, most of the switches don't have neutrals. I ended up going with RadioRA 2 and purchased mostly 6CL dimmers and only a few of 6NA dimmers.

I have incandescent Zwave dimmers (Leviton and Jasco/GE) that work fine with the Cree LED bulbs. I haven't tried other bulbs. Based on this, I haven't been compelled to buy dedicated CFL/LED dimmers...

rsw686 said:
I did a quick bench test between a HAI CFL UPB dimmer, RadioRA 2 6CL dimmer, and RadioRA 2 6NA dimmer with an incandescent bulb, the original Cree A19 bulb and the new Cree A19 4Flow bulb. I didn't purchase a Z-Wave dimmer to test as I think you guys are right that the tech isn't as reliable.

HAI CFL UPB dimmer: Both LED bulbs would flicker after pressing the paddle when the UPB pulses are sent out. The original Cree bulb had a slight buzzing noise. All bulbs dimmed to a low light level. I'm still not a fan of the dimming curve as it drops the light level quickly over the 5% then evens out for the rest of the range.

RadioRA 2 6CL: All three bulbs don't dim as low as the other dimmers. The original Cree LED bulb had a slight buzzing to it at any level. The Cree 4Flow bulb works great.

RadioRA 2 6NA: No flickering or buzzing for any of the bulbs. All bulbs dimmed to a low light level.

Since this is an older house, built in the 80s, most of the switches don't have neutrals. I ended up going with RadioRA 2 and purchased mostly 6CL dimmers and only a few of 6NA dimmers.
This may seem counterintuative, but HAI LED dimmers are NOT the best dimmer for LED bulbs. Use the plain HAI dimmer. It works better and the timer function actually works. Go figure.   :wacko: 

Back