Repurpose GDO? (Garage Door Opener)

mtgoat

Any experience (good or bad) repurposing parts from a (14 year-old Genie or similar) garage door opener?  After the screw-drive shaft snapped, I've now replaced with a quieter belt-drive model. 

Seems a shame to chuck the old components (sensors, remotes, keypad, board, motor) if any parts could/should be repurposed for another use.

Looking especially for experiences, but also for ideas.

Can't think of any practical use for the parts. But others might have a different definition of practical.  :)   People do sell used GDO parts on eBay.  You might find a new home for them that way. 

The plastic drive gear in my GDO wore out a few years ago.  The new replacement part was somewhat expensive and I would have been happy to buy a used one in good condition if I could have found one. 

Years ago installed a chandelier lift in the attic.  That was my base for electricity / catwalks / type of automation beginnings infrastructure.

The "lift" "looks" like a garage door opener and used low voltage relays to operate.  It is probably twice the size though of the garage door opener motors and it was a PITA to carry up to the attic.  In fact I redid the attic access mechanisms which was another PITA to do.

Basically its a garage door opener motor with a winch on it and using some 500lb metal cable.  Its not failed after 10 years but not really used every day.

lift.jpg

It was a WAF thing to purchase a "new" chandelier replacing what had been contractor installed so I used the opportunity to do more automation infrastructure.  The chandelier is very delicate and while nice looking I am afraid to touch and break it which contradicts the pricing of it.

It was a learning experience for me and the mixing of LV and HV stuff.

Hired an father / son electrical contracting company to remove the old chandelier as I didn't have a high enough ladder to do this.  The father was about 78 and the son was around 55.  The father had to go on his tippi toes on the top of the ladder to take down the old chandelier.  I looked at amazement mostly at the son watching his dad do this with very steady hands while standing on the very top of a ladder.   Took him 5 minutes to do.

So in theory you could re purpose the motor for some automation thing or rebuild it to keep as a backup or sell it on craigs list.

Back