RedEye Universal Remote for iPhone/Touch

mtgoat

I'm seeing quite mixed reviews (from "awesome product" to "crashes, slow, etc."). The price appears very competitive to dedicated remotes, assuming that an Apple device is already available.

I wouldn't use it for the following reasons:

1. No emitter plugs.
2. Unless you're moving the whole visual interface onto the device (including channel guide, etc) like the dish network or similar apps, its much easier with physical buttons to feel your way around while looking at the display.
3. You have to wait for wifi to reconnect when you wake up the ipod.
4. Have to remember to charge it frequently.

I wouldn't use it for the following reasons:

1. No emitter plugs.
2. Unless you're moving the whole visual interface onto the device (including channel guide, etc) like the dish network or similar apps, its much easier with physical buttons to feel your way around while looking at the display.
3. You have to wait for wifi to reconnect when you wake up the ipod.
4. Have to remember to charge it frequently.

I have been using the RedEye since they first released it and it has come a LOONG way since then. The beauty of this (and all iPod) remotes is that new features and capabilities are always being added to the free App so the remote control system is always evolving and there's no reason to buy a new hardware device. To address these points specifically:

1. I agree it would be a better unit if it had emitter outputs. I have gotten around that in my own home. I am also using a Sony Playstation 3 for Blu-ray Disc playback so I needed an IR to Bluetooth converter. I combined the RedEye with the RE-BL X and now I can control the PS3 but the REBLX also acts as an IR repeater to send the signals to my other devices. To ilustrate:
My iPad sends WiFi signals to the RedEye > RedEye sits next to RE-BL and sends IR signals to RE-BL > RE-BL routes the IR signals to a connected quad emitter which goes to my TV, AV Receiver, Tivo and Cable Box > REBL also takes IR commands and sends them via Bluetooth to PS3

2. This is the age old debate of Touchscreen vs. Hard buttons. I agree... if you are a big DVR user or channel surfer always looking at the screen the touch screen may be tough to use. If you watch a lot of movies then you may just pick up your remote to start and stop and the touch screens are nice and much more customizable

3. I have never experienced a "wait" for WiFi. The new Philips Pronto remotes work over Wifi now as well and it is because new devices do not consume as much power as they used to with Wifi Always On.

4. The iPad or iPod Touch running the RedEye software and other Apps lasts much longer on a single charge than any Logitech Harmony Touchscreen remote and many others. The iPhone is another story because the cellular radio is the biggest consumer of battery life but the RedEye does not impact that much more than any other App

OP: Mixed reviews: The only thing I can say about the mixed reviews is that you may find that with every new device... including one that is as new and different as the RedEye. The latest RedEye App with iPhone 4 support has been rock solid for us since it was released and we have sold many, many of these devices with some of the lowest return rates of any remote control we sell.

we do one here also for another hardware Total Control Remote Edition

totalcontrolremote1.jpg

Back