Phone control suddenly stopped working - some help please.

George M

Strange ocurance last night. Have an M1 gold with all latest firmware (5.2.10 I believe). Also have the M1XEP, Serial module, and 4 zone expanders.

All was working fine. Then last night we had a lighting/thunder storm. Did not get a lightning strike, but noticed that the house phone no longer worked and was getting an error on the M1. DSL stil worked. If I turn off the M1 the phone works again. When I turn the M1 on again, and then try to make a call, there is a click in the panel and the phone has no dial tone - just sounds of an open line.Turn M1 off and phone is back.

Seams line the M1 is grabbing the line and not releasing it.

Does this seam to be a problem that can be resolved or is it a signal of a problem with the board itself?

Thanks
George M

I'm guessing a surge fried something on the board. Did you install the phone line surge supressor (ELK-952) and ground it good?

I'm guessing a surge fried something on the board. Did you install the phone line surge supressor (ELK-952) and ground it good?

I did not. Didnt even know about it.

So is the only option to replace the entire board or are there module only that can be replaced?

EDIT: I just checked. The phone line is going through an Onq TM1745 which does have surge protection.

I did not. Didnt even know about it.

So is the only option to replace the entire board or are there module only that can be replaced?

EDIT: I just checked. The phone line is going through an Onq TM1745 which does have surge protection.

Not Familiar with it. Tried to look it up, no luck. Is it a dedicated phone suppressor or one on a power strip?

I would imagine it's one of the structured wiring enclosure phone breakout devices. OnQ makes some of the popular ones among builders - and they have a built-in RJ31X-type jack for security systems.

Unfortunately the behavior sounds like a bad modem - it's time to call Elk to see what your repair options are. They do have great support but it likely means sending the board in to them.

I would imagine it's one of the structured wiring enclosure phone breakout devices. OnQ makes some of the popular ones among builders - and they have a built-in RJ31X-type jack for security systems.

Unfortunately the behavior sounds like a bad modem - it's time to call Elk to see what your repair options are. They do have great support but it likely means sending the board in to them.

That's exactly what it is. I did email ELK and Brad got back to me right away. He gave me a couple of diagnostics to run and it looks like the modem went out. I am waiting to hear back from him on next step, but it looks like I will have to send it in to be repaired. Do any of you know how long that process usually takes?

I haven't done it first hand, but I believe I've heard it can take 2-3 weeks all said & done... don't quote me on that though.

I've had them pro-rate a repaired replacement on a lightning strike board I had for a customer. Had it in my hands in a few days, worked out to be cheaper than repairing the donor board.

Irregardless of the protection that may or may not exist on the lines, I still install one for the M1. Elk believes so strongly in this that they started including them with every panel they ship.

Back