Philips pulls the plug on DIY access to Pronto software

JonW

Today Philips pulled the plug on the access of their software tools for the Pronto line of remotes from all end-users / DIY. They launched a new version of their "Professional" website and reset all user accounts. Previously, a user could register at the Philips website and take a series of online tests to become level 1/2/3 certified. This gained you access to the Philips PEP software, firmware updates, programming manuals and custom built Pronto modules. To re-activate your account, it is necessary to obtain an activation code from a distributor. Unfortunately, the distributors will only give the activation codes out to dealers. This now leaves the DIY segment high and dry.

Way to go Philips! ;)

Today Philips pulled the plug on the access of their software tools for the Pronto line of remotes from all end-users / DIY. They launched a new version of their "Professional" website and reset all user accounts. Previously, a user could register at the Philips website and take a series of online tests to become level 1/2/3 certified. This gained you access to the Philips PEP software, firmware updates, programming manuals and custom built Pronto modules. To re-activate your account, it is necessary to obtain an activation code from a distributor. Unfortunately, the distributors will only give the activation codes out to dealers. This now leaves the DIY segment high and dry.

Way to go Philips! ;)

Bitwise seems to be going this way too, they are signaling it by pulling sales of their equipment from retail channels.

Sucks for us DIYers.

I just don't get it though. By nature, a DIY is not going to buy a Philips Pronto if they have to get it from someone that they then need to also pay to program it. I'm all for the limited access that Philips previously put in place for the online testing. Philips didn't provide direct support to the DIY crowd anyways, that was mostly going on over at Remote Central. Heck, there's a lot of cool stuff out for the Pronto remote that was created by the DIY crowd over at Remote Central. You can be there are plenty of Pronto dealers that have pulled stuff from there and sold it to customers.

I think the most troubling part of it is that Philips had a certification program setup that allowed access if you passed the tests and they have now removed all access to those previously certified.

I really don't get why companies hate DIY so much. I understand why they don't want DIY competing with dealers where customers can ditch their dealer as soon as they get the equipment... but I guarantee that hardcore DIY'ers make the products better - they have the time to invest in it, and often more technical aptitude than the average low-wage installer - and an interest in making things that much better.

I personally won't waste my time on anti-diy companies...

What upsets me with companies that do this (I'm not saying this directly applies to this company, you be the judge) is that they will come out with a new hardware/software product, tout it to the DIY market, get FREE troubleshooting from them as the DIY crowd contains some of the best troubleshooters one could find, then, after tuning the product to perfection, take it off the DIY market and declare it "PRO" worthy status. ;)

I remember purchasing a Phillips Pronto (over 10 years ago - B&W one) and giving it to my wife as a birthday gift. She still reminds of that "gift".

Funny how the DIY market becomes the QA for these folks (a free service then they stick you).

Most of the time the "pro installers" will get their "in depth" knowledge of quirks from the end user DIY installers.

I liked Phillips in the 90's and into the 2000's (still have about 4 Phillips LCD computer monitors - very well constructed).

I think nowadays mfg are going to great lengths to protect their dealers/pro installers whose business is hurting. While I think that is great that they want to help their dealers I beleive their overall sales will drop as many people will not want to pay someone to install or program something that they could do themselves (especially in this economy).

Pro installations should be limited to those that cant or dont want to install themselves. Exceptions should always exist for the sake of safety (i.e. we would not want the average person installing their own breaker box).

Does allowing the DIY hurt dealers and installers? Yes and No. DIY are also demand drivers. Your friends come over and see your HA or HT setup and want it. If they are not as tech savy they will pay for someone to install it (if they can afford it). If they dont see your setup they wont know what they are missing.

Pretty soon you will have to go to an AT&T or Apple store if you want to change the ringtone for your iPhone. Or if you want to change the schedule on your programmable thermostat you will have to call in a tech or pay for them to remotely download to the stat.

We are becoming a service oriented economy rather than a manufacturing economy. We barely make anything anymore in the USA so we have to come up with ways to keep people employed.

Well, here what is interesting… The Installers/Dealers don't want the DIY market to interfere with their business; but, they should also consider the amount of FREE troubleshooting that the DIY community OFFERS to the hardware/software manufacturers that these dealers rely on.

So, the dealers are fighting the DIY market, but, eliminating the knowledgeable DIY community from making a product BETTER may actually hurt them in the end!

And Digger makes a good point above about touting the technology with FREE advertising as well!

Well, here what is interesting… The Installers/Dealers don't want the DIY market to interfere with their business; but, they should also consider the amount of FREE troubleshooting that the DIY community OFFERS to the hardware/software manufacturers that these dealers rely on.

So, the dealers are fighting the DIY market, but, eliminating the knowledgeable DIY community from making a product BETTER may actually hurt them in the end!

And Digger makes a good point above about touting the technology with FREE advertising as well!

The support from the DIY segment is particularly true with the Philips Pronto's. There has been a lot of custom development by the DIY community that I'm sure has made it into customer configurations that dealers have charged for. I personally created a tool for Pronto developers that enables real-time TCP/IP communications to the Pronto extenders and external IP based systems (like HAI) from within the the Pronto desktop simulator so that they do not have to download the configurations to the Pronto remote to test them. I have given out my utilities to MANY dealers as it cuts down the development and debug time significantly.

Dealers really don't understand that the DIY market is not taking business away from them. If someone can DIY, they will not buy from a dealer and pay them to do it - they will find a different product that will allow them to DIY.

UPDATE:
It appears that Philips has heard the uproar in the DIY community and will announce something next week to help with the situation. It is unknown at this time what that means.

Most of the time the "pro installers" will get their "in depth" knowledge of quirks from the end user DIY installers.
Looks like we have a theme going on right now and I do understand it but, as a recovering systems integrator (as in, not any more, for now...at least for the foreseeable future...we'll see...I do miss it), I have to ask in regards to this quote, "Really? You really believe that?" If so, umm, well if you don't have anything nice to say...

I guess my statement was a bit callus.

Many times the "pro installers" can get some "in depth" knowledge of quirks from the end user DIY installers and vice versa. Its a symbiotic relationship.

I will definitely be following this... I have been looking at the TSU9400 for some time and this certainly changes things if I cant get PEP as a consumer (w/ or w/o certification) to program the remote.

I too understand where a company wants to protect its dealers, and I am all for having authorized dealers for their products. However, limiting a consumer in ways such as this can certainly effect the bottom line in sales if a consumer cant program the remote. Then again, there probably isn't a large number of people doing it anyway, so they might not care...

I had a Pronto Neo a while back. When the Hard Buttons began to fail I went to the Harmony Crowd. I know some of the harmony remotes aren't as flexible as the Pronto remotes but since having a Harmony I have never looked Back. I am actually considering the newer Harmony model with wireless as we speak.

I had a Pronto Neo a while back. When the Hard Buttons began to fail I went to the Harmony Crowd. I know some of the harmony remotes aren't as flexible as the Pronto remotes but since having a Harmony I have never looked Back. I am actually considering the newer Harmony model with wireless as we speak.

I went crazy with an original B&W pronto starting about 8 years ago, with a GUI that let me browse my floor plan and then do activity based control. I have 6 remotes around the house, and order new ones from ebay when they die.

Was planning to upgrade to ipads with bitwise and homeseer.....and DOH, go fish. What a shame. iPad is fun though - highly recommend the otterbox case.

Back