Options for a Wireless Security System now + Insteon later

zebmina

Hello experts!

I have an existing house and interested in a DIY wireless security system - door/window contacts/sensors, PIRs, landline/ethernet connectivity, accessible over internet - with the ability to add Insteon devices/controllers later on.

In principle, I guess I could install the wireless security and Insteon separately, but it would work best if the two could talk to each other.

I am quite new to this area, so any pointers on what I should look for would be extremely helpful.  Given I want to go wireless only adds constraints, but it would be easiest given the layout of the house - it will be expensive to get wires fished.

I look forward to your ideas/guidance.

Regards,

Zeb

You have a couple of options: buy a security system that can directly talk to INSTEON or buy a security system that can communicate with some home automation controller that can also talk INSTEON.

The former may seem more convenient but they also tend to be less flexible over the long term. If you run across some new kind of device, like say a Ube WiFi dimmer switch, it may be difficult if not impossible to add it to your system. (queue the arguments ;) )

The latter moves the central brains of the automation out of the alarm panel hardware and to something that's better equipped to deal with the growing/expanding/changing automation environment. So, you can tie alarm events to your lights and you can use any kind of light that your controller supports (INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, WiFi, etc). If you go this direction, there are generally two classes of product: a hardware controller or a software/computer system. Again, the latter tends to be more flexible since software isn't constrained to run in a tight embedded environment - though it's less of a rule perhaps (I'm admittedly biased). 

I think on this forum you'll find a mix of users doing all of the above. I prefer the software/computer approach - not only because I work for a company that makes software for the Mac - but also because it gives me tons of flexibility and room to grow. Most of the major HA software out there supports plugins from 3rd parties so you can often find a plugin for the latest gadget. For instance, we have 50+ plugins covering a wide range of devices (alarm systems, pool controls, weather station hardware and data, sprinklers, I/O devices, smartphone geolocation, A/V receivers, sensors, other HA protocols, notification, etc.). One of our 3rd party developers had an initial plugin for the Philips Hue within days of it's release - an example of the flexibility of a software-based system. 

You may not have need of any of those at the moment, but if you start off with a foundation that can grow then adding them later if/when it comes up will be significantly less painful.

I'm happy with my Elk M1 Gold. By adding a wireless receiver, you can have the capability to use wireless sensors. Down the road when you want to do the Insteon integration, add an ISY-994i and the ISY's Elk module.

@Jay, @snake:  Thanks for your suggestions!

I have a two-floor house with a crawlspace and an attic.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned, running wires will be a pain since pretty much every wire that needs to be run must be fished along an outside wall.  I'd just as soon save myself hat time and aggravation which is why I thought of going the wireless route.  This morning I read up a bit on security systems, and Honeywell/Ademco, DSC, ELK seem to be liked.  For HA, I was leaning towards Insteon, with the ISY-994i controller?

@Jay, I tend to think along similar lines as you, i.e., consider a wireless security system that can accommodate an HA controller.    Assuming I start with the security system, which of the above could easily be used with the ISY?

@snake:  I like everything I've read about the ELK M1.  My concern is that it seems like it is fundamentally designed for a wired house, with the wireless added as an extension.  The base price then gets a bit high.  Your guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Zeb

Wireless seems to integrate pretty well with the M1. The one place where you'd run into issue is the keypads and speakers. I'm not aware of any way to do those other than hardwired. Well, I suppose you could use ipod touches running eKeypad for keypads, but I feel a lot more confident with wired keypads.

I only have one keypad (with speaker) installed, and I did have to fish it through an insulated wall. I came up the wall from the crawlspace, and it wasn't that much effort. Everything else I've done has either been hollow interior walls or wireless. By the time I'd done I expect that the majority of my sensors will be wireless.

@snake:  thanks!  I'll defintiely then be looking at the M1.  I see two models - the Gold and the EZ8.  Other than the number of devices/sensors, are there any other advantages to the Gold compared to the EZ8?

The M1 Gold has speech built into it, so it'll talk when you arm/disarm, when a zone is violated, etc. I've never installed an EZ8. I just figured that since my security system was going to add up to a considerable expense, I might as well start by getting the best panel I could afford.

Back