Occupancy Sensor Suggestions

JonW

In the Worthington catalog, they suggest using the Sensor Switch CM-9-R with the HAI panels. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm looking to use them to try and minimize how long the lights stay on in the garage, kids rooms, living room, kitchen, etc. If it was ceiling mounted, would a ceiling fan trigger it or cause problems? Do they work just as well when wall mounted versus ceiling mounted? How sensitive are they to heat sources like a forced air furnace w/ wall mounted register (near the ceiling)?

Any other suggestions for occupancy sensors I should look at?

In the Worthington catalog, they suggest using the Sensor Switch CM-9-R with the HAI panels. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm looking to use them to try and minimize how long the lights stay on in the garage, kids rooms, living room, kitchen, etc. If it was ceiling mounted, would a ceiling fan trigger it or cause problems? Do they work just as well when wall mounted versus ceiling mounted? How sensitive are they to heat sources like a forced air furnace w/ wall mounted register (near the ceiling)?

Any other suggestions for occupancy sensors I should look at?

I dont have an answer for you but was looking to post exactly the same question.

Mostly was interested in what makes this better then a motion sensor that you can get for 1/3 the cost.

Along the same lines when is a motion sensor the right sensor and when is an occupancy sensor the right sensor.

Main difference is that a motion detector is made for security and is less sensative to prevent false alarms. You have to move a larger amount for it to "see" you. An occupancy sensor is made to be more sensative so that much smaller movements can be picked up. Some examples would be a motion detector would not "see" you reading a book but an occupancy sensor would (page flipping, etc).

As both "see" infrared, you want to avoid thermal masses that move as much as possible. If you were in a home office and didn't expect a lof of motion, you could use a dual-tech sensor that has PIR and Mircophonics to detect occupancy via motion or sound (talking on the phone, etc.).

Main difference is that a motion detector is made for security and is less sensative to prevent false alarms. You have to move a larger amount for it to "see" you. An occupancy sensor is made to be more sensative so that much smaller movements can be picked up. Some examples would be a motion detector would not "see" you reading a book but an occupancy sensor would (page flipping, etc).

As both "see" infrared, you want to avoid thermal masses that move as much as possible. If you were in a home office and didn't expect a lof of motion, you could use a dual-tech sensor that has PIR and Mircophonics to detect occupancy via motion or sound (talking on the phone, etc.).

Hmm.. wonder if my cats would then off an occupancy sensor? Cats have good night vision so I dont need to turn on the lights for them.

Even a Pet-Immune PIR motion is succeptible to cats becuase they jump up on things. Maybe some kind of flag to ingore the motion during certain hours that people are usually not up. It's hard to plan for every scenario.

I dont have an answer for you but was looking to post exactly the same question.
Mostly was interested in what makes this better then a motion sensor that you can get for 1/3 the cost.
Along the same lines when is a motion sensor the right sensor and when is an occupancy sensor the right sensor.
I had already looked at the differences between occupancy and motion detectors and decided I wanted occupancy ones. Some motion sensors are sensitive enough, but then you run into problems of them generating too many events to the panel where it could affect performance. The occupancy sensors close their circuit with motion and keep it closed all the while there is motion, thus only opening the circuit when the preset time/sensitivity has elapsed. This is much more friendly to a controller to track.

It's pricey to put a bunch of the CM-9-R's in the house, so I'm searching for feedback on the performance of those specific units or other similar ones prior to making the investment.

Hmm.. wonder if my cats would then off an occupancy sensor? Cats have good night vision so I dont need to turn on the lights for them.

I bet they would. But perhaps you can code out some logic to leave out some logic like if the house is armed night and after XXpm, then don't turn the lights on. Of course you might want them to turn on for you if you head out for a late night snack. So you might need to add an "override" if there has been movement in the bedroom (or hallway outside the bedroom) within 5 minutes or something like that.

I bet they would. But perhaps you can code out some logic to leave out some logic like if the house is armed night and after XXpm, then don't turn the lights on. Of course you might want them to turn on for you if you head out for a late night snack. So you might need to add an "override" if there has been movement in the bedroom (or hallway outside the bedroom) within 5 minutes or something like that.
I dont want to hijack the original posters thread anymore then I already did... my plan was to put in hall and have it turn lights on at a lower level at night. my house is right next to my neighbors and bright hall lights go right into neighbors room. dont want cats in the hall turning on the right but I will save that for another thread..

hopefully we can steer this back to the original posters question.. anyone have experience with the Sensor Switch CM-9-R or similar senors that they can recommend? Do HVAC air or ceiling fans set these off?

Back