Insteon Hub

It's just a repackaged SmartLinc - not much else to discuss really.

It does seem a little different from the SmartLink in that in reading the 'Quick Setup Guide' they mention an option for using the hub as the INSTEON interface with compatible automation software. Sooo Jay, if we now have an official TCP/IP control port on the device, we should see Indigo support just around the corner, right??? :ph34r:

Terry

http://transition.fc...v/oet/ea/fccid/
Grantee:SBP
Product Code:22422
Details Choice.

Anyone interested in seeing what the inside of the hub looks like.
The FCC Database has internal & external photos of the hub. There is also the test report for FCC compliance.
It is dual band. That is one of the differences from a 2412N Smartlinc.

Since Smartlabs seems to be going global. The -222 is the suffix for the US and Canadian markets.

It does seem a little different from the SmartLink in that in reading the 'Quick Setup Guide' they mention an option for using the hub as the INSTEON interface with compatible automation software.

You can do that with the SmartLinc, too. Not sure how much software supports it but it is possible.

There are some new things here, like sending emails/texts in response to events, or keeping track of the status of devices. But on the flip side, it appears that this has no web interface of its own, you must have software (either on a PC - which doesn't exist yet - or an app for iOS or Android).

Yeah, I know it's possible with the current SmartLinc, but it isn't supported or even officially published from SmartHome. :( As a consequence, Perceptive Automation (as well as others) won't support the SmartLinc. My hope is that now that SmartHome not only recognizes the existence of the method - they actually mention its an option for software that supports it - implying there's a spec/api somewhere for the devs - hence my plea to Jay for hub support in Indigo.

It seems like a decent device at a good price point, I may get one to play with even without Indigo support. I like the form-factor too, nicer than the wall-wart look.

Terry

Back