Honeywell Announces Cloud API Program for its Wi-Fi Thermostats

Automate

Honeywell Announces Cloud API Program for its Wi-Fi Thermostats With Home Automation Software Developers (30/9/2013)
Leading Companies and Software Developers Akuacom, Opower, Control4, and Lutron Give Wider Range of Options for Homeowners Seeking Convenience and Control 

Honeywell (NYSE: HON) has announced an application programming interface (API) program that enables development partners to build application software that interfaces with numerous Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats including the color-customizable Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat. Honeywell is initially partnering with Akuacom, Opower, Control4, and Lutron on the API offering. The new Comfort Control API will allow additional development partners to offer creative, innovative experiences, value-add services and custom applications that integrate with Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats.
For homeowners, the Comfort Control API means their Wi-Fi enabled Honeywell thermostats will integrate seamlessly with products and services from like-minded companies striving to give people control over their home's energy efficiency via smartphone, tablet or computer.
The Comfort Control API is an effort by Honeywell to accelerate energy efficiency, innovation, and expand the seamless integration of products and services. "Honeywell subscribes to the belief that peoples' lives are made easier -- and better -- if devices and products talk to each other," said Tony Uttley, general manager home comfort and energy systems at Honeywell. "With the Comfort Control API, our thermostats will communicate with other apps and devices, which gives consumers a greater experience of convenience, control, an energy management within their home."
"We are excited to take this next step in our partnership," said Alex Kinnier, senior vice president of product management for Opower, which provides tools, information, and incentives that consumers need to make smarter decisions about their energy usage. "Opower's focus is on expanding the suite of tools our utility partners can use to support their energy efficiency, demand response and customer engagement objectives. We're looking forward to the release of additional services on this platform across the coming year."

more here
http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesnews2013/news20130930-07.html

LOL - it's almost as if these hardware guys think we WANT cloud-based APIs...

Here's a hint: we don't. Let us talk directly to the hardware and we're good.

Guess for them it's a better customer lock-in if they are dependent on their cloud-based services. I think it's a big mistake in the long run.

I've said it before, but will say it again: We are not the norm, and we are a comparatively small market. Much more to be made by selling convenient subscriptions than a single device. Think razors vs razor blades, printers vs. ink cartridges. You can almost give away the former if it helps you sell the latter.

And even without a subscription, it's more profitable to control access and interfaces than to have a million different "access channels" that you need to support, but that produce little or no revenue. I'm actually surprised they've gone this far.

Most folks are looking for simply just the added functions of their on their cloud connected PDA phones or tablets. 

Typically they do not really care about the transport whether its cloud based or direct as it relates to what they see on their small internet connected devices. 

They see it as a "free" widget which allows remote control of the HVAC. 

The assumption is that the only pieces of "control" of their HVAC is the PDA phone and the thermostat (with the network connection). (they don't see the cloud; therefore it doesn't exists - its really a non entity- because they cannot touch it, smell it or feel it).

Honeywell has more money than Nest and basically will just sweep them (competiton) under the rug thanking them (nest) for the introduction of some cloud based HVAC control.  Most likely their global name recognition will sell their devices; easy sale. 

Similiar to using names like Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Home Depot, Office Max to sell their wares - after all they do know better what the consumer wants and can sell purely on name recognition just about any home automation technology; no matter what it is.

No worries about transport topology as its not seen or never paid attention to; heh; it just works most of the time and that's really all that matters.

It's cheap and easy for the provider of said connected service. 

They only have to manage one database in the cloud; they can do anything they want with it. 

It is introduced as a "free" or "test" to the consumer (AKA similiar to the use of ATM machines); then after a while the question is asked; would folks pay $1 or more a month for said service. Typically they do after the initial courtship of function; because they are already used to it. 

IE: take away facebook or twitter to a similiarly "cloud" connected via a small PDA connected individual and watch what happens to them; most likely they will suffer from some serious issues which will indirectly affect their daily lives, regular work habits, breakfast, driving, having a bowel movement, etc.

This morning I deliberately turned on my laptop to type this post and will shut it off when I am done. 

I think the introduction of cloud based "do wat's" / "automation" is great; it does introduce home automation for everyone whenever and wherever they are at for "free" or "almost free" and there is absolutely no work involved is said efforts other than downloading a widget and installing a new thermostat, light switch or little network cloud based automation "boxowonders" which can do what costs thousands of dollars just a few years back and prevented most folks from even thinking about automating their home.

How long will it take for their cloud API to be hacked and allow someone other than the intended user to control the temps in your home? Ultimately, it's not even about controlling the temps, but rather controlling my power bill.

I'd much prefer to do this on my side, rather than have my thermostat access grouped with hundreds or thousands of others, to make for a larger target.

Hack a T-stat...really?

I'd go after the hundreds, if not thousands of commercial systems that have open ports out in the world. Lots of articles about controls and automation that are exposed and readily accessible on the WWW.

pete_c said:
Honeywell has more money than Nest and basically will just sweep them (competiton) under the rug thanking them (nest) for the introduction of some cloud based HVAC control. Most likely their global name recognition will sell their devices; easy sale.
So there was once this big company named Microsoft and this little company named Apple...

This big company named GM and these little Japanese car companies...

Disruption is a very surprising thing sometimes!

Back