HomeKit may well suceed....

jdk972003

So another "unnamed" thread got me researching HomeKit from a curios DIY perspective as I was unfamiliar.

I am not an Apple fan...nor do I care one way or the other if their ventures succeed or not.  But the reality is, they have established their own controlled market.  And they can leverage it with new devices for near instant success.  I knew they would do ok but this is ridiculous...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-watch-preorders-one-million,news-20767.html

I know there were some doubting the feasibility of HomeKit being successful with its closed nature, but this is an example of exactly why they have a better chance then the rest of Home Automation players (I use the term loosely) .  They have created a following that simply buys what they produce because it "just works"

Imagine for a second a home with AppleTVs in most rooms, talking to HomeKit devices, accessed by Apple iPhones, and more specifically Apple iWatches.  Apple doesn't care the brand of the device, as it operates on their closed protocol.  Give it 2 years and i bet they have an in house app that allows IFTTT between HomeKit Devices.  Real Automation starts...

The iHouse looms....
:nutz:  

The rise of the 'casual home automators'.
Just buy a nest, one of those bluetooth door locks and install a few apps... connect them all through the cloud... et voila, smart home :)

No, I don't think it's a bad thing, just a huge gap in the market that is waiting to be filled... and companies like Apple and Google are in the perfect place to take a big chomp of them. 

I think Apple has wanted to focus our attention on Apple Watch over the last 6 months.  Now that it has hit the market, they can get behind another big push.

... Don’t expect hair Craig Federighi to re-announce what HomeKit is; expect him to give product demos and discuss new products you can get in the Apple Store soon, if not same-day.

At WWDC, I expect HomeKit will finally be ready for the masses. Some also point to Apple TV being used as a hub for HomeKit, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple also had a ‘home’ channel for their TV platform. And a voice-controlled remote would make Siri your home concierge. ...
http://www.slashgear.com/wwdc-2015-five-things-we-expect-to-see-from-apple-14378984/

Makes sense to me.

Craig

I think the key is once you bridge that gap...it becomes natural for people to want their parts to work together and do more.  Apple is laying groundwork for eventual real home automation.

Someone at Apple has a 5, 10, and even 20 year plan.  I imagine that long term plans shows an integrated house being controlled by Siri...and all that Siri usage being tracked for keyword usage to help guide their product development.

Back