Homekit announcements

pvrfan said:
Are you trying to say that El Gato and iHome are announcing themselves to the world today?  So you didn't even bother to punch their names into a search engine.  Plug "El Gato" into Bing and it comes up with 12.6 million hits versus 9.1 for "Castle OS". 

this doesn't really support your argument. the first of 12 million+ results for el gato is a restaurant.  then there's a radio station, pictures of cats, puss n boots, more restaurants, a supercomputer, a tv show... "el gato" means "the cat" in spanish so i suspect there's probably 12,500,0000 results not related to the "el gato" you're talking about.

pvrfan said:
Are you trying to say that El Gato and iHome are announcing themselves to the world today?  So you didn't even bother to punch their names into a search engine.  Plug "El Gato" into Bing and it comes up with 12.6 million hits versus 9.1 for "Castle OS".  Entering "iHome" comes back with a list of the iOS-compatible products they've been making for years.  

At least you're consistent in your belief that you, alone, know everything.

Elgato's (not "El Gato" as you write) entry into the home automation and HomeKit space was just announced today was it not? 

Nah.  Elgato has been talking about that stuff for months now.  I never paid any attention because I was scared that a software company got into the hardware game.  I recall seeing the Eve stuff last year, so I just checked the wayback machine - prior to the June announcement Elgato had nothing about Eve on their website, but after the announcement it was a dedicated link.  Which suggests that they knew this was coming and had a product already lined up.  Or else it's one hell of a coincidence.

damage said:

this doesn't really support your argument. the first of 12 million+ results for el gato is a restaurant.  then there's a radio station, pictures of cats, puss n boots, more restaurants, a supercomputer, a tv show... "el gato" means "the cat" in spanish so i suspect there's probably 12,500,0000 results not related to the "el gato" you're talking about.
Irrelevant hits are...irrelevant.

When you type "elgato" into the Bing search box, you don't even have to press return.  
bing_elgato.jpg
The call-out identifies it as a technology company...founded in 1992.

Craig

ChrisCicc said:
Wow, that's more underwhelming than even I expected. Just two actual devices from two unknown companies, a hub we already knew about, and a hub everyone expected? Ecobee3 was already WiFi, so being HomeKit ready didn't take much. That's all Apple could muster??? Other than the two new devices, we already support the rest.

ChrisCicc said:
I'm not sure how you can get any more unknown than just announcing yourself to the world today. But I digress. 

As far as your sheesh comment, if you're impressed by the support they are launching with...ah nevermind, I forgot the fan boy I'm talking to. 

ChrisCicc said:
Elgato's (not "El Gato" as you write) entry into the home automation and HomeKit space was just announced today was it not? 

Chris, don't you hate it when you hang yourself with your own words?  

You called them "unknown companies" "announcing themselves to the world today".  Had you some integrity, you'd admit that was wrong rather than trying to weasel that you were referring to their entry into home automation.

Craig

pvrfan said:
Irrelevant hits are...irrelevant.

When you type "elgato" into the Bing search box, you don't even have to press return.  
attachicon.gif
bing_elgato.jpg
The call-out identifies it as a technology company...founded in 1992.

Craig

so you're saying your post quoting 12.6 million results as some measure of popularity is irrelevant because a large majority of those 12.6 million hits are irrelevant since your search was irrelevant because you searched for something irrelevant?

damage said:
so you're saying your post quoting 12.6 million results as some measure of popularity is irrelevant because a large majority of those 12.6 million hits are irrelevant since your search was irrelevant because you searched for something irrelevant?

Chris asserted that the companies were "unknown".  Maybe to him.  All the search terms generate lots of irrelevant hits (even though limiting the irrelevant bits is supposed to be Bing's claim to fame).  Nonetheless, both Elgato and iHome show up at the top of a search and have a significant history developing hardware.  And it seemed silly for someone offering an obscure home automation product to offer such an objection.

Craig

pvrfan said:
All the search terms generate lots of irrelevant hits (even though limiting the irrelevant bits is supposed to be Bing's claim to fame).  

especially when you enter the wrong search term (and pass the 12.6 million results off as your proof)

potts.mike said:
I guess not.

thanks i'm done here.

The Verge's summation after today: "Apple's smart home ambitions are off to a basic — and not all that ambitious — start."

Back