HAI "user settings" advise

I have an HAI Omnipro2 with 3.1 firmware. I am finally getting time to rewrite and streamline, organize and change my programming. All 975 lines of it.

I sort of understand the concept of "user settings", but don't fully comprehend how implementing these will benefit me as the person with installer rights.

Can some of you give me some ideas how you incorporated user settings into your programming and maybe it will change the way I go about writing the new code. I'd hate to get it all done and then suddenly have an epiphany and have to change it all.

Thanks
Honeymonkey

The good thing about user settings is that they can act as variables in situations where you can't use a flag, because they can be configured for different types of data. For instance, I have three user settings configured as time settings. I have a bunch of button code assigned to buttons 2-9, which I can use to tell the system what time I expect to be home: button 2 mean 2:00 PM, button 3 means 3:00 PM, and so on up to button 9 which is 9:00 PM. The button code looks like this:

Code:
62.	WHEN Home at 2:00
			THEN SET Arrive Time 60 minutes before TO 1:00 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 30 minutes before TO 1:30 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 0 minutes before TO 2:00 PM
63.	WHEN Home at 3:00
			THEN SET Arrive Time 60 minutes before TO 2:00 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 30 minutes before TO 2:30 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 0 minutes before TO 3:00 PM
64.	WHEN Home at 4:00
			THEN SET Arrive Time 60 minutes before TO 3:00 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 30 minutes before TO 3:30 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 0 minutes before TO 4:00 PM
65.	WHEN Home at 5:00
			THEN SET Arrive Time 60 minutes before TO 4:00 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 30 minutes before TO 4:30 PM
			THEN SET Arrive Time 0 minutes before TO 5:00 PM

etc. The "60 minutes before" and "30 minutes before" user settings are used to set the thermostat setpoints in advance of the arrive-home time based on the outside temperature:

Code:
28.	TIMED Arrive Time 60 minutes before MTWTFSS
		AND IF Outdoor Temp Sensor CURRENT READING IS LESS THAN 25 
		OR
		AND IF Outdoor Temp Sensor CURRENT READING IS GREATER THAN 95 
			THEN RUN Evening Thermostat Settings
29.	TIMED Arrive Time 30 minutes before MTWTFSS
		AND IF Outdoor Temp Sensor CURRENT READING IS LESS THAN 38 
		OR
		AND IF Outdoor Temp Sensor CURRENT READING IS GREATER THAN 85 
30.	TIMED Arrive Time 0 minutes before MTWTFSS

The "Evening Thermostat Settings" is a button that sets the heat and cool setpoints based on various conditions.

Thanks Cornutt,

Using them in that way didn't dawn on me. Thanks so much for your input. I think I better hold off a bit longer to rewrite my code till I rethink the power of this setting. I've googled this topic quite a bit but there are very little real world examples and I can see now I'm not that creative either lol.

Thanks again,
Honeymonkey

Back