Getting the Chat applett

George M

I am trying to join the Chat. However I cannot because I keep getting this Internet Explorer Security Box popping up saying that Windows has blocked the software because it cannot veify the publisher.

I tried enabling everything in Security Options, but did not help.

I am running WinXP Pro

Any suggestions?

Thanks
George M

The chat server uses the IRC protocol, so you can use clients such as mIRC, Pidgin and Trillian to connect to irc.marstracker.com (port 6667, room is #cocoon). I am looking into writing a lightweight Flash client so I can get rid of the JAVA based client, which seems to be a problem sometimes.

Also keep in mind that many corporate networks block IRC.

The chat server uses the IRC protocol, so you can use clients such as mIRC, Pidgin and Trillian to connect to irc.marstracker.com (port 6667, room is #cocoon). I am looking into writing a lightweight Flash client so I can get rid of the JAVA based client, which seems to be a problem sometimes.

Also keep in mind that many corporate networks block IRC.

Dan:

This is running at home but I'll check the sonic wall and see if it is by default blocking chat 'stuff'.

Chuck

Some security software, such as Norton's, will block it as well (some of bot nets use this protocol as well).

Checked the settings on the SonicWall and sure enough it was filtering IRC... So now I can chat.

There are usually always around 15 people there, so please feel free to join and lurk. If no one is talking, just make some noise ;)

Back