Elk Heavy Duty Relay

rsw686

I'm looking for something similar in an enclosure that activate on 12V. I want to be able to shutoff power to my well pump in case there is a leak upstream of the water shut off valve (pressure tank, pressure switch, etc).

RIB relay. First suggestion.

The contactor was suggested as a secondary assuming "if" your pump rating exceeded the rating of a RIB.

You didn't supply the current and voltage, so an actual suggestion can't be made.

I wasn't sure what RIB meant. An RIB relay would actually be perfect as I could install it on the service disconnect for the well pump. The pump is on a dedicated 220V 20A circuit. What are the requirements for separating the 12V from line voltage in the box?

separated from line voltage using a dedicated non-conductor or divided box. I prefer to use cable rated to be in the same enclosure wherever possible, otherwise you can just use the leads on a RIB to come out a KO into a handy box or 4" square in proximity with a nipple.

I'd probably suggest you install a box outside the disco, then the RIB on it, then splice the LV in the box and bring the HV leads into the disco from there.

It's a necessary evil and not much you can really do unless you have a large enclosure to separate the cabling.

Looks like either the RIB12P or RIB12P30 will work. Eventhough it is a continuous duty relay since 95% of the time the pump will be on would you wire it NC? I only see myself killing power to the pump if there is a leak on when armed vacation. I am going to have a few leak detection sensors and a water shutoff valve as well (will cut down on water damage from reserve 30 gallons in pressure tank).

rsw686 said:
Looks like either the RIB12P or RIB12P30 will work. Eventhough it is a continuous duty relay since 95% of the time the pump will be on would you wire it NC? I only see myself killing power to the pump if there is a leak on when armed vacation. I am going to have a few leak detection sensors and a water shutoff valve as well (will cut down on water damage from reserve 30 gallons in pressure tank).

I think you'll be fine if you use the NC contacts to provide power to the pump.  If there was a power failure, the pump wouldn't have power either, so it wouldn't matter if you couldn't activate the relay.

Make sure it supports the HP rating of your pump.

I don't see an issue with NC. Routine testing should probably be done to make sure the unit is functional and not flashed over. Well pump is not a continuous duty application. You would only have the unit drawing power to the relay when the expansion tank hits the switch to call for more water.

To follow up on this I bought the RIBTE02P-S. This device has built-in low/high voltage separation and can be triggered by 12v. In fact it uses 220v to power the relay coil so it can be wired directly to the OmniPro output as it draws 1ma.

Attachments

• IMG_4220.JPG
    IMG_4220.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 19
Back