eKeypad - Looking for a few good testers

jaysonc

I am looking to add several people to the eKeypad beta testing group. Want to help? have an iPhone or iTouch? Have time to help?

As eKeypad continues to grow the time has come to expand the testing group. Following is a list of devices on the roadmap.

- All Elk Panels
- All Ness Panels
- All ISY Devices
- Dedicated Micros DVRs
- Everfocus DVRs
- ACTi IP Cameras
- Axis IP Camers and video servers
- Ness IP Video servers
- Misc IP Cameras (D-link, Hunt, LInksys, Mobotix,Panasonic, Sony, VisionTech, Vivotek)
- Brultech Energy Monitors
- WeatherHawk Weather stations
- PCS Network Device Server
- Smarthome Insteon Controller
- Russound audio controller (to be interfaced with Elk or Ness)
- Nuvo audio controller (to be interfaced with Elk or Ness)
- Proficient audio controller (to be interfaced with Elk or Ness)

If you are interested and have the time to contribute please send me a PM describing the areas of focus you would be able to help with along with your name and email address.

Gatchel,

eKeypad is currently only available for the iPhone or iTouch. Any hardware revision.

Update: I have added this to the original post for clarity.

Jayson - Im trying to decide on whether or not to get the Sonos system to distribute Audio through the house. I like the sonos for a few different reasons, one of which is the fact that I can use my iphone to control the music in each zone.

I just realized that ekeypad will be integrating with audio soon. Without giving away too many details (though a sneak peak would be greatly appreciated), will the new version of ekeypad and its integration with audio be similar to how sonos works?

If it's going to be similar or better than Sonos, I'll save my pennies and wait for the new version of the app and buy a russound multi channel amp.

If it's going to be different, I'll buy the Sonos now. Im in no rush, just geeky excitement to integrate audio.

(I just signed on, and I cant yet PM you. Thanks for all your other posts, Im just about to order the door strike that you mentioned on one of your other posts).

gdking,

The eKeypad support for audio will initially be based upon the audio integration that was added to the Elk M1 back in January. While this will provide control for a wide range of audio systems (Russound, Nuvo and Proficent) it will not be quite as extensive and the control you get from the Sonos solution.

Initially the eKeypad audio control will allow you to control all zones, change the input, adjust the volume, play, pause, skip next and display the album/artist/song information. Initially, eKeypad will not display the album art but I may be able to add that in a later update. The ability to navigate the media library (like in the Sonos application) will not be possible via the M1 interface.

So in general, the Sonos application will be more robust that eKeypad in the short term. The Sonos application is making a direct and tightly integrated connection to their audio solution. eKeypad in contrast is designed to provide a simplified control of a wide range of controllers.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the delayed response.

I am watching Android closely as a possible additional platform for eKeypad.

The Android platform has a lot of potential, but from a 3rd party application perspective it still needs to mature in some areas. In its current state here in early 2010 it is just not a viable platform for me to support.

hey Jayson - I've been testing the updates you've sent recently - just haven't found any bugs to report in normal day-to-day use. Just FYI - I'll be picking up an iPad as soon as they're released, so if you play to make screens for those I'll be happy to check them out.

Also, I've got my eye on Russound too - hopefully there'll be one in my future :-D

Todd,

Yes I am happy to observe that the current eKeypad to Elk integration is very stable.

I am going to be creating an iPad specific version of eKeypad. The iPhone/iTouch version will run on it just fine already, but with the larger screen and other features eKeypad will be even better.

I am working on my eK Server product currently which will provide a large set of features to help installers manage large numbers of eKeypad installs for their customers. For anyone attending ISC West, I will have an eK Server demonstration running in the Elk booth.

Once eK Server goes into its early adopter phase, I will be starting work on the iPad and Desktop version in parallel.

Back