Do I need a console with HAI or ELK?

tannebil

I'm going to install either an HAI or ELK controller that I'm going to use exclusively with Elve for all system interactions. Do I need a console to do setup and maintenance or will I be able to do everything over the Ethernet connection? Thanks.

I haven't used the HAI, but with ELK it is best to download their software and connect to the system that way over your LAN.  You can run the software from any computer on the LAN and the software does not need to be running except when you want to make a change (ie no service running 24/7).  So any computer would work really.  

I would still put one console on the system to use for emergencies.  How about if you come home to a house with no power (but the HAI is on battery)?  Will your computers and WiFi all be working to allow you to disarm the system?

In that case, I see no reason to install a keypad.  Are you using a different system for security?  For me, one of the features of combining the security and automation platform is that the security zones can be used for so many automation tasks.

Bad idea.

There should always be one hardwired interface no matter what the panel and other hardware that may or may not be attached.

That said, it may not be necessary to put the keypad out in the open, but in the case of a firmware issue or other software related issue, a hardwired keypad may be the only way to get access to the panel or perform needed functions.

I know for HAI, you need the console to set the IP address and to read back the security key before you can ever contact to the panel. 

And on the ELK, you need to pseudo-enroll the XEP via the keypad.

"The M1XEP does not connect to the RS-485 data bus on the control, therefore it will not appear
in the list of devices enrolled on the keypad. However, the enrollment process is necessary to
ensure proper supervision of the device."

Sorry I misunderstood what the OP was asking for when I posted my comments.  I didn't realize that a "console" was a keypad.  I thought he was talking about a computer interface.  I certainly would have one keypad.  It is probably required for UL and/or insurance purposes. 

Why install and Elk/HAI if you don't want the security aspect?  I realize they are a hybrid automation system, but without security why not just go a more automation specific setup?

I don't need or want a "real" security system but my house wired by the original owners when they built it and I like messing around with it. I'm going to monitor my doors and windows because it's fun, not because I need to do it. I currently use a couple of UPB I/O modules to do it but they only do two contacts per module so it's not a scalable approach. I also want to add some new contacts where I'll need a wireless sensor so the low-end HAI and ELK controllers seemed like reasonable alternatives.

It sounds like both HAI and Elk require a keypad so I'll need to factor that into my hobby budget. Thanks.

Yeah - with the Elk, most of the interface apps emulate one of your installed keypads - so you need one installed; but as said above, you can just mount it in the closet and not out in the open.

And if you just want to monitor door contacts, you can get PC I/O card that do that pretty cheaply, probably for cheaper than just the price of a HAI or ELK console. 

tannebil said:
I'm going to monitor my doors and windows because it's fun, not because I need to do it.
I consider home projects "fun" as well, but I'm curious what you intend to do with the data from your door and window sensors if not to use with an alarm? Going with the real alarm panel like the Elk allows you to not only have your fun, but have a system that you can arm while you're away on vacation to protect the house, and something that may be a selling point when you go to sell the house.

I'd put the keypad in a sensible place. It does have four F-keys that you can use for home automation features, and a alphanumeric display that you can send custom messages to. Much "fun" could be achieved with those features!

I just like to be able to see stuff on my iPhone/iPad. Things like:

Who came to the door (camera with motion sensing)?
Are all the windows closed?
Did I leave the garage door open?
Did I change the thermostat to "away" before we left on vacation?
Are my sprinklers doing what I expect them to do?

Our house is in a much safer than average area so we don't want to pay the monthly fee and put up with the hassle of a monitored alarm system. There was a DSC system already installed when we moved in but we decided it wasn't worth paying to get it programmed (we didn't have the codes) if we were not going to use it. 

To Cocoonut's point, the wiring for the door and window sensors ends in a closet that's on the other side of my house from my computers. I'd happily install a PC or appliance solution at the termination point rather than an HAI/Elk but I'm not interested in rolling my own solution at that level so I'm limited to the options supported by "mainstream" HA software (Elve at the moment).

The more I read about both controllers, the more I think that I'm not going to be happy taking that route as programming with keypads is not really something I enjoy (that's why I replaced my functioning "smart" thermostat with a Nest). I might just get another SA I/O module for the existing wiring to get a bit more granularity and find something else to tinker with for the moment.

tannebil said:
Our house is in a much safer than average area so we don't want to pay the monthly fee and put up with the hassle of a monitored alarm system.
You don't have to. You can program the M1G to voice dial your cellphone or send you an email when the alarm goes off. Doing so is generally referred to as "self-monitoring".

Back