Connecting a rain sensr to M1G

George M

I use two Rain8Net units for my irrigation system. I also have the WGL rain sensor as seen here http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufact...WGL/Item/RS001/
I currently have the sensor connected to the Rain8Net, but I would like to connect it to my Elk M1 in order to use a more robust scheduling system. I tried to just connect to a zone as any sensor, using both NO and NC, but it never changes. For NC it always shows Violated, Open, 13.7 --- For NO it always shows Normal, Open, 13.7. Adding water or drying out does not change the readout.

Does anyone have a rain sensor connected to their Elk?

Thanks
GM

I use two Rain8Net units for my irrigation system. I also have the WGL rain sensor as seen here http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufact...WGL/Item/RS001/
I currently have the sensor connected to the Rain8Net, but I would like to connect it to my Elk M1 in order to use a more robust scheduling system. I tried to just connect to a zone as any sensor, using both NO and NC, but it never changes. For NC it always shows Violated, Open, 13.7 --- For NO it always shows Normal, Open, 13.7. Adding water or drying out does not change the readout.

Does anyone have a rain sensor connected to their Elk?

Thanks
GM

I have one from Automated Outlet. Not sure of the brand/type, but it is configured as normally closed, non-alarm. They do take a long time to dry out, so you might have to wait a while for it to go to normal if you got it wet.

I also have one connected to my elk, just a basic model that came from HD, I think it has either NO and NC options from it, just swap the wire at the sensor.... but it works great.

I tried to just connect to a zone as any sensor, using both NO and NC, but it never changes. For NC it always shows Violated, Open, 13.7 --- For NO it always shows Normal, Open, 13.7. Adding water or drying out does not change the readout.

Do you have a meter? If so measure the resistance of the leads with the unit not connected to anything (make sure your fingers don't touch the lead ends) with the unit dry and with water.

Also, a good test to see if your Elk is working properly is to just short the zone with a piece of wire, then remove it and see the corresponding change.

I tried to just connect to a zone as any sensor, using both NO and NC, but it never changes. For NC it always shows Violated, Open, 13.7 --- For NO it always shows Normal, Open, 13.7. Adding water or drying out does not change the readout.

Do you have a meter? If so measure the resistance of the leads with the unit not connected to anything (make sure your fingers don't touch the lead ends) with the unit dry and with water.

Also, a good test to see if your Elk is working properly is to just short the zone with a piece of wire, then remove it and see the corresponding change.

I do have a meter. Since it has been snowing / raining here for the last 4 days (since I installed it) I will wait until it drys out well before more testing. I know the Elk is working properly as I disconnected a working PIR sensor to test the rain sensor.

Thanks
GM

I used a DS10a for the Rain Bird rain sensor. Mine is mounted high on the edge of the roof. I would be concerned about a lightning strike if it was plugged into my OPII. (thats me though).

Mine will stay (never adjusted it though) in the on position for sometimes two days after a rain. I also utilize a 1-wire rain guage and wind anemometer for hard shutoffs on my sprinkler system (with two Rain-8s).

Back