Codecore Technologies Introduces Elve 1.5

johnnynine

PHOENIX, AZ - March 25, 2012 - Codecore Technologies, LLC today introduced Elve 1.5, a significant upgrade, featuring support for more home automation products, device property history recording, new and updated sample touch screen interfaces, a redesigned media browsing experience, new touch screen interface features, performance improvements, and new APIs for software developers.

"Elve 1.5 marks a major step forward for the already successful Elve product suite," said John Hughes, President of Codecore Technologies. "Building on the robust and user friendly platform, we have made over 200 improvements to provide users with even more power and flexibility at an affordable price."

New product support includes Clipsal C-Bus, DSC Alarm, Squeezebox media library, JRMC media library, Weather Underground, SageTV Information Pop-up, and SABnzbd Binary Newsreader. The existing product device drivers have also received a significant number of improvements including Z-Wave locks, thermostats, battery level reporting, improved Russound support, additional HAI Omni features, improved NOAA weather, and much more.

The new device property history recording feature provides historical data available in Microsoft Excel for analysis and charting. Users can now record thermostat temperatures, track door and motion detection activity, and much more.

The all new "Festive" sample touch screen interface provides multi-room audio matrix support with a unique look and feel. The original touch screen samples feature improved media browsing and weather handling, slide-in pop-ups, and more usability changes.

Touch screen interfaces provide completely redesigned media browser controls, scrolling marquee text, word wrap, text opacity, background and border color opacity, pop-up slide-in and slide-out animations, pop-up auto-close timers, and new custom control events. Touch screen designers will find many productivity and debugging improvements as well as an improved point and click touch screen variable system.

Software developers have access to new device property history APIs to create custom drivers with access to historical data. The SDK also includes new media player APIs, a redesigned media library interface, productivity improvements, and new by-value scripting objects.

For a more complete list of changes in Elve 1.5 please visit our community forum.

System Requirements

Elve supports Windows XP, Windows Embedded Standard, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Home Server 2011.

Pricing and Availability

Elve 1.5 is be available to Elve 1.0 an Elve 1.1 users as a free software upgrade.

Elve 1.5 is available for download with a 40-day free trial at http://www.codecoretechnologies.com. Elve Enthusiast, Elve Power Enthusiast, Elve Professional (Residential), and Elve Professional (Commercial) have a suggested retail price of $250, $699, $899, and $1099 respectively. As an introductory incentive, prospective buyers can take advantage of a $150 promotional discount for a limited time.

About Codecore Technologies

Codecore Technologies, LLC is a Phoenix, Arizona based software development and technologies company specializing in large scale application development using Microsoft® .NET technologies for web, cloud, server, desktop, and mobile platforms. Visit http://www.codecoretechnologies.com for more information.
###​

Elve, Elve Enthusiast, Elve Power Enthusiast, and Elve Professional are trademarks of Codecore Technologies, LLC. Other trademarks and registered trademarks are the properties of their respective companies. ©2012

Somebody using this product needs to comment on how 1.5 is working, so I guess I'll step up to the microphone. I'm 76 years old and definately not a programmer, so my success is all the more remarkable given my limited skill level.

I have to say Elve 1.5 is a dream to use with my new iPad3 touch screen. Ironically, my decade old Philips Pronto TSU2000 finally bought the farm the day before the iPad3 was released. Great opportunity to convince the resident Warden that I needed a new iPad. Got in line the next morning, about 50 people back, and got one.

I had previously had some screens designed in Elve Touch Screen in anticipation of being allowed to spend my allowance on an iPad someday, so I had it up and running within about a day or so.

What a surprise. I was anticipating that it might be like so much of electronics these days, hopeful, but not quite ready for prime time. Nothing of the sort. I am knocked over by how stable and consistant iPad performs with Elve 1.5. I've had it running since the iPad3 was released and haven't had a single glitch or hiccup. I am amazed at how stable the Elve Touch Screen app is with iPad.

I was expecting some possible delayed response considering how many things have to happen when one pushes a button on the iPad, but I was surprised by how instanteneous the response is. It's actually instant. I was already aware that Elve runs on my PC like it isn't even on there.

In addition to lighting, I run HunterDouglas PowerRise shades versions 1.0 and 2.0, Hunter Douglas EasyRise blackout shades, my Panasonic front projector, screen curtains, masking system, audio equipment, etc. Never a glitch. When the phone rings in the middle of a movie (which is every night), Elve stops the movie and raises the lights so the Warden can answer the phone without knocking everything over scarmbling for the handset.

I was concerned about the possibility of the iPad screen being a major distraction in a totally dark front projection theater. Imagine my pleasant surprise to discover that Elve has a screen saver built in that, in my case, takes the iPad to black after I use it. I have mine adjusted to go to black in about 10 seconds. That solved a big concern.

As a person who visits Cocoon Tech several times a day, or more, I thought it might be useful if I posted my expereinces with the iPad3 and Elve combination. Please pardon my wordy enthusiasm over the results.

BTW, I like to play with web design so I put together a site for our home theater. There is a diagram showing my setup if you click on the Control System tab on the left.

http://www.deanejohn...sonhometheater/

Deane

Now you're asking questions I may not be smart enough to answer. :mellow: If it helps, I figured out the iPad screen was 1024 x 768 so I made my Elve screen that size. It fits perfect on the iPad. Since it is a perfect fit, the characteristic of the iPad is to keep it on one plane, it doesn't rotate as you turn th iPad, which is good. it stays in the proper horizontal plane.

I looked at a bunch of cases for the Ipad and found the best one in my view to be the Belkin. The leather version was $50. Makes a perfect easel and I can set the iPad next to my viewing chair on a table.

Ten years ago I got my first look at a Crestron system and fell in love with the touch screen and the equipment control it provided but knew my budget would never let me have Crestron. IMO, Elve and the iPad come as close to an expensive Crestron system as you can get for about 10 cents on the dollar.

I don't know if this answers your question or not.

Deane

The iPad 3 resolution is 2048 x 1536 pixels, so I am guessing you are scaling (basically doubling the resolution).

As for iPad 3 cases, I just got this one, and absolutely love it. The clasp is a little tight, but they are sending me a new one, no questions asked, and it outperforms most $50 cases which have known issues with the smart cover mechanism, and other quality problems.

I do agree that an iPad + a nice home automation backend is a killer combination, and can easily outperform expensive setups. I have an expensive in-wall Atom based touch screen (purchased before the iPad 1 was released), which is something I'll never do again.

Refurb iPad 1/2 + LaunchPort mount looks like a million bucks, and doesn't confine you to the wall (inductive charging, etc.).

I can't imagine the iPad image getting any sharper than what it is. When I go back to my desktop PC with a 22" Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT the first thing I want to do is reach for the focus control.

Nice looking case. Good value too.

Deane

Does Elve support the iPad 3 in native resolution?

Dan, yes Elve Mobile for iOS supports both retina and non-retina displays... 2048 x 1536 on the iPad 3 and 1024 x 768 on the iPad 1 and 2. The same concept applies to the iPhones as well. Interfaces with nonstandard size are scaled to fit the screen but the user can pan/zoom. So in Deane's case you are correct that the pixels are being doubled to fill the screen. A new Elve Mobile for iOS version will be out very soon with a couple minor fixes and improved compatibility for upcoming features in Elve 2.0.

I've had it running since the iPad3 was released and haven't had a single glitch or hiccup. I am amazed at how stable the Elve Touch Screen app is with iPad.

Deane, that's great news! ... I think you have a better setup than I do with your screen curtains. :) Thank you for the kind remarks.

I tried Elve's Touchscreen builder recently and, if memory serves me correctly, you must design the touchscreen interface on a PC whose resolution is greater than the target computer. If I wanted to design a full resolution interface for the iPad3 my PC's screen resolution must me greater than 2048x1536. Is that correct or did I misunderstand the requirements (or has something changed V1.5).

At this time the machine used to design touch screen interfaces must have a screen resolution greater than the user interface you are designing. This will likely change in a future version.

Keep an eye out for an Elve Mobile update in the Apple App Store. The app gets updated iPad 3 launch screen graphics and improved orientation detection on retina devices. It usually takes about a week for Apple to approve an update.

Keep an eye out for an Elve Mobile update in the Apple App Store. The app gets updated iPad 3 launch screen graphics and improved orientation detection on retina devices. It usually takes about a week for Apple to approve an update.
The updated Elve Mobile for iOS is now available in the Apple App Store.

The new Elve Mobile for Android app is now available for public beta testing. If you are interested in an early look at the app or would like to provide feedback you may download it here.

if memory serves me correctly, you must design the touchscreen interface on a PC whose resolution is greater than the target computer.

Good News! We have implemented the virtual canvas feature which allows you create and edit any size touch screen interface using any resolution monitor.

This is be available in the next major Elve release.

Back