Chamberlain Opener Control

rsw686

I finally got around to installing a door opener on my second garage door which had no opener. To my surprise shorting the control wires does nothing. Only their control panel will open / close the door. I purposely bought the opener with the simple looking control (no LCD clock, etc) so I could wire it to a relay on my OmniPro controller like my other garage door. The model is WD832KEV. Any thoughts on a workaround? 

Yes, it sends some kind of control signal.  I know of others that have opened the control panel or a remote and have soldered wires to the switch that are then shorted using a relay.

Cheers
Al

Well that is annoying as the last Chamberlain opener I bought 5 years ago you could just short the wires.  I'm also not thrilled that the remote technology has changed the new remotes won't pair with my other opener and vice versa. To top it off the door sensors are soo sensitive they are picking up reflections and blocking the beam does nothing. I can only make the green light turn off if I put my hand directly over the sensor eye.

Here just switched from an old lift master set up to a newer Chamberlan OnQ set up.

Note that I have never had an issue with the Lift Master and the only thing I have done in 13 years is replace one set of GDO opener springs.  Doesn't really matter though as OnQ and Liftmaster are both owned by Chamberlan these days.

First issue here was that one older car with Homelink didn't work with the new Chamberlan.

So purchased a Homelink repeater which is reasonably priced. (new on Ebay for around $25.).

It plugs in to the spare outlet next to the GDO power outlet.  It just repeats the old signal to the new OnQ GDO passively.

I have read too that the new GDO's are using a new Securelink 2.0 + thing that does work with old Homelink buttons on cars.  It's a GDO learning color button thing. 

buttons.jpg

1 - If your garage door opener has a “Yellow” learn button , it utilizes the Security+ 2.0 technology. Replacement remotes for your unit must also utilize the Security+ 2.0 technology.
2 - If your garage door opener has a “Purple” learn button, it utilizes Security+ 315 MHz technology. Replacement remotes and keypads for your unit must also utilize the Security+ 315 Mhz technology.
3 - If your garage door opener has either “Red” or “Orange” learn button, it utilizes Security+ 390 Mhz Rolling Code technology. Replacement remotes and keypads must also utilize Security+ 390 Mhz Rolling Code technology.

But not all of the Homelink buttons work with them.  Thinking I spent a good part of 30 minutes trying to program the Homelink buttons (fingers got numb) to the new GDO before reading about this stuff.

Easy procedure if it works is:

1 - reset your Homelink pressing the two outer buttons until the LED blinks for a few seconds
2 - take your remote control and press one button while concurrently pressing one Homelink button.  Continue pressing them together until the Homelink LED light flashes rapidly.
3 - if all is well then your Homelink button will work with your GDO.
4 - Or just press the yellow learning button and the Homelink button until the GDO light flashes once.

I still had the wires by the GDO going to the OmniPro 2 panel (which now do not work).

There is a DIY here on Cocoontech written by Dan (Electron) in 2005 utilizing a GDO remote and hard wiring the contacts to the OP2 panel.

How to automate a garage door using its wireless remote

I am still going to tinker a bit with the myQ stuff but will probably not use it as my OP2 panel and Homelink buttons will work fine with the new Chamberlan.  Really though not wanting to use the cloud to open or monitor my GDO and door.

I did switch the bulbs over to brighter LED bulbs and trying a new LED replacement for the overhead lighting which was incandescent and now LED.  The new added LED lamps are circular and about 24 watts of LED lighting.  Very bright and blinding if you look at it.

It does look to be a Security+ 2.0 thing. I just saw that Chamberlain sells a simple press button for a few bucks on Amazon. The directions state it syncs with the opener after a few button presses. I'm going to buy one and see if I can solder wires to the front button contact. I like this solution as it is fully hardwired with no batteries like if I used a remote. Plus if I mess it up I'm only out a few bucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-883LM-Security-Control-Button/dp/B00AZL9MK8

http://www.liftmaster.com/catalogresourcesv3/en-us/shared/files/tucmanuals/114a4394.pdf

Well too if the wires already go to the GDO then it is nothing to bring the wires back to the button on the wall.

It is a bit confusing as my old GDO remotes all have Security + written on them but not Security + 2.0 written on them.

The opener at my last house was Security+ not Security+ 2.0. It looks like they changed it for the 2.0. What I meant was I am going to have a 2nd button that I'll just hide above the opener. One side will have a wire from the OmniPro soldered to the board and the other going to the GDO terminals.

On the plus side I was able to link the HomeLink buttons on the truck to both openers. If the $7 button fixes the control issue I'll be happy.

I finally got around to attempting to solder this. The good news is it works! When you first connect the button the yellow light blinks. It takes about 3 presses and the light goes solid, meaning the opener has linked. At this point pressing the button or touching the red / black wires I soldered to the button activate the door.

Attachments

• IMG_6164.JPG
    IMG_6164.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6167.JPG
    IMG_6167.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6168.JPG
    IMG_6168.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 31
Good news rs686.  Are you taking the button switch wires back to the OP2 via 22/4 (for two doors?).  Is there any voltage on the two button wires?

Here so far has been installation of Homelink repeater which is doing fine.

Yes I have 22/4 run from the OP2 to each garage opener. I'm using red/black for the opener and green/yellow for the door sensor. I didn't check for voltage on the wires. It's going to the HAI relay board in the OP2 panel so I'm not worried either way.

Thank you for providing pics rsw686.

Here it has been many years now.  I ran cat5 to each door, created hard loops to open and close doors using sensors; well and the catXX was a pita to deal with inside of the OmniPro 2 can plus over did the rest of the garage stuff a bit...

This due to a gotcha in logic while automating my detached garage in the 1990's in the old house and having the garage door automatically closing while she pulled in the garage while on a conference call leaving the car running.  Well and only having a one window view of the garage door from the house had me doing all sorts of stuff to the garage at the time.

Back