Bacoeng Water Valve

rsw686

Has anybody used one of these? For $37 it is an awesome deal assuming it is reliable. They have a few different models, but the CR05 stainless steel version looks to be ideal for use with my OmniPro II panel. It needs one relay and optionally 2 inputs to verify fully open or closed status. If you don't want the status the CR02 would work as well. The only downside is there is no manual control.

BACOENG 3/4" Motorized Ball Valve 2 Port SS NPT ,Electric Ball Valve DC12V CR05

Other 12V DC models available:
BACOENG DC12V CR01 Two Wires Control Electric Ball Valve 
BACOENG DC12V CR02 Three Wires Control Electric Ball Valve 
BACOENG DC12V CR05 Five Wires Position Feedback Electric Ball Valve 
BACOENG AC/DC9-24V CR04 Two Wires Spring Return When Power Off Electric Ball Valve 

At this price I'm also debating about buying two more to automate shutting off and draining the water for the outside hose. There seems to be two approaches on how to do this

1) Buy two 1/2" valves and place one after the front hose bib shutoff and one after the rear hose bib shutoff. I could use my phone to close the valve while I'm outside and then manually remove the hose and open the hose bib so water has room to expand.
2) Buy two 1/2" valves and place one before the tee to the front and outside hose bib shutoffs. Add an additional tee and 1/2" valve and and run the pipe to a drain. With this method I shouldn't need to remove the outside hoses and could leave both hose bibs closed. I would make a rule to close the first valve and open/leave open the second for water to drain. 

If I wanted to get real slick I could add a third valve so I could have hot or cold water at the hose bibs. On occasion I thought it would be nice to be able to fill a bucket with hot water. However this might be getting a little ridiculous.

Thoughts?

rsw686 said:
Has anybody used one of these? For $37 it is an awesome deal assuming it is reliable. They have a few different models, but the CR05 stainless steel version looks to be ideal for use with my OmniPro II panel. It needs one relay and optionally 2 inputs to verify fully open or closed status. If you don't want the status the CR02 would work as well. The only downside is there is no manual control.

BACOENG 3/4" Motorized Ball Valve 2 Port SS NPT ,Electric Ball Valve DC12V CR05

Other 12V DC models available:
BACOENG DC12V CR01 Two Wires Control Electric Ball Valve 
BACOENG DC12V CR02 Three Wires Control Electric Ball Valve 
BACOENG DC12V CR05 Five Wires Position Feedback Electric Ball Valve 
BACOENG AC/DC9-24V CR04 Two Wires Spring Return When Power Off Electric Ball Valve 

Compared to the  price of the ELK WSV2, this is a fantastic bargain.  That is, if it is a quality product.  Guess the only way to tell is to buy one and see.  

Since a plain 3/4" ball valve sells for around $15,  the $300+ additional markup on the Elk valve seems kind of steep for the controller. On the other hand, just $13 extra for the Baco valve seems too low to be believed.

That's exactly my thinking. I'll probably just buy two (water main and hose bibs) and try them. I'm doing some re-plumbing (adding whole house filters) so now is the time to do this. The motor is my main concern and it is unfortunate there is no manual override. However it looks like I could swap the motor so if it lasts a few years it is a good buy.

rsw686 said:
That's exactly my thinking. I'll probably just buy two (water main and hose bibs) and try them. I'm doing some re-plumbing (adding whole house filters) so now is the time to do this. The motor is my main concern and it is unfortunate there is no manual override. However it looks like I could swap the motor so if it lasts a few years it is a good buy.

Yeah, buying an extra valve just to have a spare motor isn't a bad idea.  Still way less expensive than the Elk valve!

The thing that would concern me is looking at the size of the solenoid and what sort of torque the unit could actually provide. Might be ok for a small hose application, but for whole house, I wouldn't trust it.

Well I bought both the 1/2" and 3/4" anyway. One arrives tomorrow so I'll post pictures of the inside. Worst case I can always return them.

rsw686 said:
Well I bought both the 1/2" and 3/4" anyway. One arrives tomorrow so I'll post pictures of the inside. Worst case I can always return them.
They look like a good deal, but what came to my mind was that the ball valve opening looks a fair bit smaller than the pipe diameter.  This isn't something that people look at but a smaller diameter opening may restrict water flow.  Probably not a big deal for many application, but if this was in your main water line for a cutoff, it would be a concern.

Here are some pictures of the 1/2" valve.

Attachments

• IMG_3935.JPG
    IMG_3935.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3936.JPG
    IMG_3936.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 34
Sorry I don't remember details, but about a year ago I did some research on electrically operated balls valves and found quite a few. There was at least one that looked like the Elk valve, but was notably cheaper. I suspect, the Elk is a rebranded version of that one.

EDIT: Posted too soon. I found my project folder. Looks like I found several alternatives to the Elk, including one that looks identical, but nothing equivalent that was any cheaper.

Well the verdict is in. You don't want to buy these. The description states the valve will automatically stop when the limit is reached, which is not the case. Both of them try to keep going and the 3/4" one you can hear the gears popping. I would have to use the limit wires to also stop power going to the valve. Additionally the 3/4" has the same size ball valve as the 1/2". I'm going to send these back and will probably order the Elk. 

I've got a couple of the Greenfield 1" valves and they have been rock solid for about 2 years now. I've got the Elk programmed to cycle them once a day at 3 AM just to prevent any scale build up. Don't remember the price, but it was considerably less than the Elk valve and they're very well constructed.

Back