Anyone using Indoor Positioning System (IPS), without tags, successfully?

mtgoat

I'm finding a few commercial and open source initiatives, using wifi & mobile devices, however not much discussion on experiences. I'd like to avoid tags, and instead rely on phones connected to wifi, carried by household members. Anyone ventured down this path?

I'm also interested in this and what I've found suggests phones/wifi aren't so good. The trouble is that phones go into a deep sleep mode that effectively means they drop off wifi. From what I've read, there is literally nothing that will wake an iPhone remotely.

I've seen some hints that geolocation can be used on the device itself to trigger messages to something. But these eat more power reducing time between charges.

If one can stomach tags, I like the Bluetooth LE beacon technologies, especially Google-developed Eddystone-EID. In theory they could be as secure as a key. My main concern is I don't want to be tied to Google cloud for managing the EID part and I haven't seen any open source alternative.

I looked in to this briefly a few months ago. Apple seems to be doing it commercially in malls, but the public information is limited. It sounds like it comes down needing to do a custom network mapping of the space, which Apple then pushes in to their mapping databases (server side). There dont seem to be any tools available for the average user to create this data or use it locally.

This kind of leaves Bluetooth tags and your own custom app as the solution for local control, at least in the iPhone space.

I havent looked in to it recently, so maybe things have changed in the last few months. Apple has a website for commercial users to apply or inquire about mapping for their larger spaces (malls, civic arenas).

I've recently been playing around with GPS positioning using Geofency (I-Phone) and EGIGeoZone (Andriod), though my needs are much less accurate (just need to know persons location within 100 meters or so within a city).  

I do know the Geofency supports Bluetooth beacons and (as in the GPS positioning capability) should work while the phone sleeps.

I think this will be your best bet for short in-home accuracy

Back