The Apple "Tax" on HomeKit

Automate

I came across this quote from Plum

Plum is part of the Apple MFI program and has all the associated legal and technical documentation from Apple. MFI certification (for Apple Homekit in our case) requires the addition of a separate IC which is licensed from Apple. We are trying to make the decision on adding this component (and the applicable firmware changes which may be significant) to the initial devices which we have already engineered. 

Not surprised considering its Apple.  I wonder what they charge for the chip.

In order to sell licensed and certified HomeKit accessories, yes you need the chip. But there numerous efforts successfully using either a Mac or Raspberry Pi has a HomeKit bridge accessory without the chip.

Yes, that is the workaround. Make a gateway devices which has the chip to bridge to other devices which don't have the chip.  Will Apple start blocking the sell of these chips if the company is not using them for every device?

From what I understand, part of the certification process is you have to submit the hardware to Apple for review. Apple will not sell a company the custom MFi chip until the product is certified before mass production. I have seen at least two companies who are creating a hardware bridge with the MFi chip which I believe then intend to sell has a product. Regardless you can create your own HomeKit bridge with a Raspberry Pi without the MFi chip, but you have to do all the programming yourself.

Automate said:
I came across this quote from Plum
 Plum is part of the Apple MFI program and has all the associated legal and technical documentation from Apple. MFI certification (for Apple Homekit in our case) requires the addition of a separate IC which is licensed from Apple. We are trying to make the decision on adding this component (and the applicable firmware changes which may be significant) to the initial devices which we have already engineered. 
Automate said:
Not surprised considering its Apple.  I wonder what they charge for the chip.

I'm not in the MFI program but a key part of HomeKit is secure communications between each HomeKit accessory and the iOS devices authorized to control them.  I believe that IC enables the secure communications layer.  Of course, then, it has to be licensed from Apple.  

How much cost will it add to a HomeKit device?  Good question.  On one hand, Apple is doing HomeKit to sell more iOS devices.  They're not developing their own HomeKit accessories, AFAIK.  (It appears they will sell other manufacturer's accessories through iTunes Store and take their customary cut, however.)  

OTOH, licensing this chip is one of the few avenues where Apple can make money directly through the HomeKit program.  (They've clearly invested quite a bit of R&D to develop the framework.)  They didn't get to be one of the most profitable companies in the world by ignoring revenue opportunities.

Craig

Back