Haiku New Router? Modem not seeing HAI Controller and HAIKU

Frunple said:
Go to Shields Up and make sure the port is forwarded correctly. It should return a "failed" response.
It will also show you your actual public ip but you can always just google "whats my ip?" and that will show you it also.
Frunple:  Yes Pete and I confirmed that Port Trigger is set correctly, but when you do a Port Scan on the IP address, it says that all ports are closed.  Again no apparent way to open from the local side of the R/M.

Powercat80 said:
Frunple:  Yes Pete and I confirmed that Port Trigger is set correctly, but when you do a Port Scan on the IP address, it says that all ports are closed.  Again no apparent way to open from the local side of the R/M.
You don't want a trigger. You want a forward. You want to use the same port from the outside as the inside. Trigger typically means you use a range of different ports on the outside, might be different in your router but I doubt it.
Just forward the port to the ip of the panel, then check shields up again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_triggering

Can you post a screen shot of the port forwarding page in your router?

Eureka!!!

Pete and Frunple:  Thanks for your assistance.  It appears on this R/M, in order to do Port forwarding you have to set up a virtual server where 4369 is the inbound port communicating to the private IP address.  I have tested against some UPB lights and they are now working remotely.  I will fully check security later.  What a soap opera!  Nothing was obvious or apparent here and it was amazing how long it took for TWC to finally give me an explanation so it could be remedied.  your help was priceless!!!!!

Oh, and Pete. Do you know how we were able to finally see all the available ports? We had to turn on the Firewall, and everything was filtered. 4369 is still not visible, but I guess it sees it as a virtual server, not a port. Hmmm??

Great news PC80!

Yeah here never would have thought of using the virtual server setting.  So that is where the port forwarding was.

@Frunple - never saw any port forwarding on any of the firewall pages.  Didn't make sense to me.    Well too putting the OPII in a DMZ didn't work either which was odd.

You don't want a trigger. You want a forward.  By default there is only one firewall tab mention of port anything and that was only port triggering.  That is why I enabled a DMZ which didn't work anyways.

Interesting that you had to turn on the firewall to see the ports.  Odd that it doesn't see port 4369 yet it works now. 

Geez...looking at some forums this has been an issue for many folks with this Arris combo box.  Just a short thread here....

I tried searching every port forward website including port-forward.com. Doesnt seem to cover ARRIS router. Can anyone help me to forward my server.

I have the same router and the same problem. i know how to port forward but it doesnt seems to work. if you go into firewall theres a virtual server and thats how you port forward.

Also.... I was reading somewhere that it might only be possible to forward a port if you hold down the restart button on the router for 15 seconds and then quickly log in... I don't know if that is true but i'm going to try it if I cant figure anything else out

Someone help please??

First thing is first... It seemed obvious to me that I should have the router's firewall off cause... duh, right? Well, apparently it also disables the router's port forwarding capabilities. So, try turning that on if it is off; cause again, why wouldn't it be?.

Yeah, the uverse modems were the first I saw that called it virtual servers ( actualy it was whatever ATT called their service before then, I believe it was still SBC back then). Even then, they were still a pain to forward.
The problem with the triggers is it needs the local device to initiate the connection (hence the "trigger" name), until that happens, the ports will show as closed.
Obviously the OPII will never initiate a connection, so that would never work.

Glad you got it working!

Personally here or there or anywhere have never looked at a UVerse combo modem and was unfamiliar with what they are doing these days.

Yeah here relating to my first Verzon FIOS combo device used only the STB network interfaces for the televisions.  I was the first to get it in a 50 home subdivision.  I bridged one internal ethernet port and went to using my own firewall.  That said and mostly due to their piss poor customer service probably moving back to CC for internet / VOIP (using Ooma) and satellite for television. 

What was nice about this in FL was that CC lost it's customer base to Verizon.  It then replaced its underground cables to be able to support the new stuff. 

In the midwest just updated my CC cable Motorola modem to last version before they went to using the Arris modems.  Thinking soon that you will only be able to utilize their equipment for rent and not be able to use your own stuff.  This is relating to the trending as you will also probably not be able to manage any of it as it will be locked down.

I do see a trend here with the ISP's now totally managing the interfaces to the internet.  It is a win win money maker for them. 

Last year here noticed that CC was locking down their wireless public interface such that anyone in the vicinity of your personal combo box could use the wireless as long as you are a CC subscriber.

AT&T went on the cheap here locally in the Midwest implementing their UVerse stuff using the old 15 year old cable infrastructure.  They did this rather than replace the old copper here.   As they are the only folks still supporting the copper; they have already cried poor to the state saying they are losing money supporting the copper and already have spent their federal / state funding to update the infrastructure for their own needs.  CC picked up the slack here by now updating their 15 year old cable infrastructure with a supposition that the whole fiber box to CatXX cable will never be implemented piecemeal which truely is a joke but appears to be the new trending.

As a follow-up, HAI seemed to be communicating properly.  However I then discovered that my SONOS music system was not connecting and I had no control of the system.  Turns out I had to manually open 20 separate port triggers on the ARRIS modem in order for it to communicate.  The old ARRIS required nothing like this.  Apparently all ports are shut down except for the bare essentials.  After opening I had SONOS control, but I lost HAI control.  With a little experimenting I discovered the firewall was off and upon re-engaging I was able to control HAI again.  So even though I created a separate virtual server in order connect remotely, this only works if the TWC Firewall is up. As I mentioned before, I am not a network guru, so this has been extremely frustrating and not intuitive.

I discovered the firewall was off and upon re-engaging I was able to control HAI again.

This defies the logic that typically is seen with enabling or disabling a firewall.  Logic dictates if a firewall is OFF then it just passes all of the traffic.  The Arris folks seem to be recreating their own logic relating to the firewall.  (similiar to the RPL HP logic in the first hand held calculators - BTW I was made to use a slide ruler back then cuz not everybody had an HP calculator).

Putting the HAI OPII in a DMZ should also work accordingly but didn't which also defies basic network router / firewall stuff.

So even though I created a separate virtual server in order connect remotely, this only works if the TWC Firewall is up. As I mentioned before, I am not a network guru, so this has been extremely frustrating and not intuitive.

It is not intuitive and not following standards of basic networking stuff. 

The thing that bugs me about this is that you called TWC and did a simple request relating to some basics about networking and their combo box and they appeared not to know what it was you were requesting. 

I did here have issues with a new Motorola SB6141 when I purchased it.  Basically was told I couldn't install it on my internet d-mark and it was suggested at the time that I rent same said box from CC.  I went asking technical support on the CC forum and did get a personal call from somebody at CC.  He made an adjustment to my Motorola Modem, apologized and all was well.  I didn't like having to jump through hoops though just to connect to a paid for internet service. (sort of  mickey mouse).

Relating to the FIOS ISP connection and its been a while (mentioned this before) I disabled everything relating to my personal internet connectivity (wireless and network) and bridged one Ethernet port to the WAN interface.  I did connect the TV STBs to the box using coaxial cable (they also have IPs now).   I then took the box and installed it inside of the can below the OmniPro 2 can in a wiring closet.  I did the install with the installer cuz I was a bit picky.  IE: he was going to install the telephone box / back up in the middle of the master bedroom until I took his drill and drilled a hole myself in to the master bedroom closet.  He had guesstimated the point of entry (in a mickey mouse willy nilly fasion).  Mostly though most folks have complete confidence in the methodologies of installation.  Basically their corporate push is fast and easy. 

It has been like this now over 5 years and still working fine.  I have a separate and controllable just fine wireless access point and a separate router/firewall connected.  Both of these devices follow what I learned relating to basic firewall / router / switch / access point rules or configuration standards. 

In the midwest utilize cable, satellite and OTA.  I have noticed that there are now many digital encrypted OTA channels here in the midwest.  Next I will probably be paying to see OTA basic stuff.  That is a guess and relating to precious push of DRM.  Geez i can just ding copyrights of a news broadcast recording it for another time to watch.  I do not feel guilty about doing this but wondering if I should feel guilty?

As stated above though I think this is a win win for the ISPs that were making their monies on television stuff.  Folks are doing more a la carte TV stuff these days via the internet and are not typically well versed in the networking, firewall, routing, wireless world.  Typically now too the DIY installation of what you pay for is really plug n play.  A money generating service call whether it is virtual or real will bring in the much needed revenue for these companies losing money (sic). 

Pete - LOL.... I did a little slide rule back in the day myself, but I was right on the cusp of the calculator.  Couldn't afford an HP at the time, but when I finally converted to the HP-12C, I loved RPL logic.  Except it messes you up if you go back to a traditional calc.  Great financial calculator and I still have a couple around today, as well as the iPhone app that simulates the same. 

As far as TWC and ARRIS, totally agree!!  This is not the norm and frustrating that their support cannot advise and my HAI contacts had no idea either.  Surprised there has not been more occurrences of this on the forum as TWC tosses a pretty wide net.

Yeah the googling related to  your issues (sort of) brought me over to the TMC forum and specifically gamers suffering from cold turkey maybe?

Most notable TMC / firewall related posts related to posted how do I do this on the Arris firewall verbiage coming from some game that they are / were addicted to and needing to open firewall ports.

Yeah here it was Bio chem and an old (> 60) professor who forbade us to using any calculator.   He was cranky and spoke with a heavy accent making learning a real PITA.  He did let use use one 8X11 cheat sheet for our exams.

I remember using a architectural type pencil to see how much I could fit on the two sides of the paper.  It did not help much for the testing at the time.  Thinking if he would of seen anybody take out a calculator he would have hit us over the head with a stick / slide ruler.  I had more fun in Physics at the time and playing Star Trek on terminals and teletype machines in the water closets (state of the art remote access at the time)

I went here from using the HP RPN doing RPL calculator to the TI calculator that you could program then lose all of your stuff if you shut it off then.

If you have operational IPv6 addresses within your network you really should have the firewall enabled.

Shutting off the firewall tab on said mentioned combo device appears to shut down the interface.

Personally here with FIOS combo device I have just bridged the interface to the WAN to one LAN port and gone with my own devices.

Hi All,

I know this post is from a while ago.  But I am currently having a very similar issue.  I have an HAI system that I can access when I am on the local network.  However, when I use the cellular network I can no longer connect to it.  Another odd thing is when I look at my router client list the HAI Controller (or what I assume is the HAI controller since I am using that IP address to connect my NQLink to) appears as if it is on the 2.4Ghz network.  When I unplug the ethernet cable from it I still see it in my client list but can no longer connect the app to it even when I am on the local network.

Hopefully someone will still see my "cry for help" on here and will be able to assist.

Thanks all!

i3lueAngel said:
Hi All,

I know this post is from a while ago.  But I am currently having a very similar issue.  I have an HAI system that I can access when I am on the local network.  However, when I use the cellular network I can no longer connect to it.  Another odd thing is when I look at my router client list the HAI Controller (or what I assume is the HAI controller since I am using that IP address to connect my NQLink to) appears as if it is on the 2.4Ghz network.  When I unplug the ethernet cable from it I still see it in my client list but can no longer connect the app to it even when I am on the local network.

Hopefully someone will still see my "cry for help" on here and will be able to assist.

Thanks all!
Welcome.  

So the Omni doesn't have DCHP, so the IP and port set in the panel is it. It sounds like your app. is finding it when you are on your LAN. When you are on your cell phone, you are not on your LAN, so its completely different. 

So the first challenge is knowing the IP address of your home, and it can change over time. So the first question, do you know you home's IP address with certainty?  This is what companies like No-IP do.  So are you using a DDNS provider?  

Once you get to your IP address in your home, your router has to forward the external IP address to your Omni. This is what port forwarding does. Assuming you are using the default port, 4369, then your router has to get what comes in from port 4369, and get it to the correct IP address of your Omni.  So, do you have port forwarding setup in your router?

You need those two things setup, or it's not going to work.

ano, thank you for your reply.  Apparently, it is actually a lot stranger than it seems.  I was able to figure out what the issue was.  I am not sure how it happened, but it seems I had multiple devices under the same IP address.  So, while my HAI controller's internal IP address was 192.168.50.206 there was another device occupying that same IP address.  But when I tried to open port 4369 in port forwarding the other device (still not sure what it is) was intercepting that port and then would say that the port is not open.  

To solve this I went ahead and changed the IP address on the HAI console that it should try to obtain, and in my static IP assignments added the MAC address to be assigned to a new unique IP address.  I guess for me the hint for this was that in the client list table the device appeared as a wireless device, while I knew that my HAI controller should be appearing as hardwired. 

Back