Haiku Myro:Home Helper for Leviton/HAI Systems

I'd be interested in perspectives on the Notifications feature. Haiku/HH was set to notify me on security-related situations, e.g. if the garage door had been left open after n-minutes at night, or when I exited the geofence with the GD still open (not that that ever happened.)

Hi,

I just purchased the annual subscription for Myro and installed in on my iPad. I would like to now install it on my two kids and wife's iphones, but they all have different Apple ID's than me and it is not recognizing that I paid for a subscription. Is there a way install it on their phones also? 

torque said:
Hi,

I just purchased the annual subscription for Myro and installed in on my iPad. I would like to now install it on my two kids and wife's iphones, but they all have different Apple ID's than me and it is not recognizing that I paid for a subscription. Is there a way install it on their phones also? 

Hi!  This is currently an issue.  In  our household, all App Store purchases are under the same account -- this has it's pros/cons.   Currently Apple does not have a way for developers to flag their subscriptions as "family" which might make sense for in-app game purchases (tokens, jewels, etc) and Netflix (non-sharable subscriptions) but not so much for an app like Myro:Home -- where we'd allow families to use the app.

I'm hoping Apple enables a way -- I'm exploring models where I can somehow enable it -- but I'm not sure if that is allowed to circumvent Apple's purchase.  I'm going to present the option to my Apple developer contact.  

Thanks again for your support... 

I previously used the single account approach that mavromatis describes, but a few years back, Apple added a much better solution.

You should be able to enable "Family Sharing" on your account. You then send invites to your family members.  You can then share all purchases that each account has made.  Apps, music, etc.

Go to "Settings", then tap your user ID at the top.  You can then choose "Family Sharing" and send out invites.  Each user (wife, kids, etc.) then has to accept your request.  Once they accept, you can go to the App Store and browse each others purchases.  When in the App Store, click the user icon in the top right, then go to "Purchased", then you will see each family member listed and you can download whatever they have previously purchased.

I tried it with my daughters iPhone (downloading the Myro app from the app store) and it didn't work. Maybe there is a specific way I need to download it to her phone? Looks like from what you mention above I need to "browse" my purchases from her phone. I will check this out when she gets home. 

I do have family sharing all set up from before, but not sure I've ever used it. I'll report back with my success. 

torque said:
Looks like from what you mention above I need to "browse" my purchases from her phone. I will check this out when she gets home.  
Yes, this is exactly how you need to do it.  You don't go to the app store and search for the app, instead you download it from your existing purchases.

The developer has to enable family sharing as well for this to work. I’m a little confused by mavromatis’s comments, as developers have this option for all iOS apps when they release them. Apple recently added this ability for Mac apps as well, if I recall correctly.

I just tried it. No luck.

I opened the app store on daughters iphone, clicked her icon (upper right), it opened a menu and one of the selections is "purchased". I selected that and choose my profile, and sure enough I see all my purchases, including Myro. I selected and installed it. When I went to open it up it starts with the same screen as it does when you have no subscription, giving you the option to purchase the 1 month or 12 month or free trial.

I selected the 12 month and it wanted my conformation to bill me. I went back and selected the free trail. 

Could it have to do with the fact that even though I've paid for the annual subscription I'm still within the trial period? 

Any ideas? Anyone else done this with any luck? The only way this software works for me is if my whole family can use it, otherwise I will need to cancel. 

As I stated, we support home sharing, but since the app is free... it doesn't apply. Subscriptions are considered a form of "in-app purchases" which are not available as part of home sharing. This is the issue when you have different accounts for store content -- everyone has a separate account, but you don't get access to anything purchased in-app nor any subscriptions. :( I'm hoping Apple adds this option this year for developers (WWDC 2019?).

Here is what I got from my Apple Developer Support Adviser:

I was able to locate our help article which customers can access that covers this question. Subscriptions are not part of the content that can be shared using Family Sharing. You can view this information through:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203046

Ahh, okay got it. 

So my next question: Do you, as the developer, have to ability to grant a "free" subscription to the three other members of my family somehow? Like a coupon code or something? Or am I just out of luck? Or maybe you could just have two versions of the software like many apps do. I free trial version and a "pro" version that costs $49 up front. Then you could have the "trial period" be 12 months, at the end of which the person would need to pay for the subscription?

I really like the software by the way. It looks and works great. 

torque said:
Ahh, okay got it. 

So my next question: Do you, as the developer, have to ability to grant a "free" subscription to the three other members of my family somehow? Like a coupon code or something? Or am I just out of luck? Or maybe you could just have two versions of the software like many apps do. I free trial version and a "pro" version that costs $49 up front. Then you could have the "trial period" be 12 months, at the end of which the person would need to pay for the subscription?

I really like the software by the way. It looks and works great. 

I like how you think!  :D   But, I have to figure out a better way as I won't be able to manage, nor scale issuing codes -- Apple limits the amount you can issue as not to circumvent the store.   Bare with me as I figure out a method -- I've never tried this myself, but while I was researching this, I read some people saying you could log in your your account, then restore purchase and then log back into the kids account?  Not sure how long that would stick for -- my guess as long as a month or whatever you subscribed for (yearly, monthly, etc)?  

That might work, maybe until the app store pushed an update out? Not sure. I'll give it a try and see. 

Back