Elk Wireless Question

Niccolo

I am installing an Elk M1 Gold system and going all wireless. The manual seems to assume that the first 16 hardwired zones will be used, but I won't be doing that. Do I need to do anything with the first 16 zones? Thanks.

No, just program them all as disabled and you can use them later if you wish. If you are using the Elk wireless receiver(recommended due to future firmware updates) then the address of the expander determines the zones used.

Address Zones
2 17-32
3 33-48
4 49-64
etc

No, just program them all as disabled and you can use them later if you wish. If you are using the Elk wireless receiver(recommended due to future firmware updates) then the address of the expander determines the zones used.

Address Zones
2 17-32
3 33-48
4 49-64
etc

Yes, I am using the Elk wireless receiver. Thanks.

Address Zones
2 17-32
3 33-48
4 49-64
etc

I have a follow-up question, if you don't mind. Is a zone equal to 1 sensor? That is, I believe that the wireless receiver is at address 2 (Keypad is address 1) and, as I understand it, the wireless receiver can handle up to 144 sensors. I will be needing 20 or so sensors. Am I correct that I can put them all on address 2, or is it that the receiver uses more than one address and I put the first 16 at address 2 and the rest at address 3 and so on? Or, alternatively, I am wrong on both counts.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Link to ELK wireless manual below. Sorry for the confusion, those addresses are just "suggested" starting points for zones. The zone ranges I quoted are in reference to M1XIN expanders. I always go by those ranges when picking an address for the wireless receiver to avoid problems if an input expander is added later. Each wireless expander can have 144 devices and will consume 16 zones at a time. If you ever add an input expander, set it to an address for a 16-zone range that you are NOT using with the wireless expander.

Best recommendation: Set the address on the wireless expander to 2, and assume you will need 64 wireless devices, etc, at some point. Install your first(if needed) M1XIN at address 6, etc.

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1XRF_Wireless_Receiver.pdf

M1XRF Receivers: The main differences between a ELK-M1XRF Wireless Receiver and a ELK-M1XIN Zone Expander are:

1) With only a single (1) M1XRF Receiver it is possible to add up to 144 wireless zones to the control in groups of 16 at a
time. However, in order to have 144 total wireless zones the first group of 16 must begin at zone 17 and the rest of the
wireless zones must be sequential through zone 160. Caution! If any hardwired zone expanders are enrolled in the
range of zones 17 through 160 then 16 wireless zones will be lost for every hardwired (16 zone) expander.

2) It is possible to have multiple M1XRF Wireless Receivers installed for added range and coverage redundancy. The
"redundant" receivers can be assigned to any unused data bus address. For this reason the data bus address of an
M1XRF Receiver does not actually determine the starting wireless zone number. Even so, for the sake of simplicity,
installers are encouraged to set the data bus address of the first M1XRF Receiver (if there are multiple Receivers) to the
starting zone ID as depicted in Tables 1-1 and 1-2.

Is a zone equal to 1 sensor?

---- YES

Am I correct that I can put them all on address 2, or is it that the receiver uses more than one address and I put the first 16 at address 2 and the rest at address 3 and so on? Or, alternatively, I am wrong on both counts.

Your wireless receiver will be set address 2 on the data bus, but will occupy BOTH address 2 AND 3 of "zone space". Every time you cross a 16 zone threshold on your wireless receiver you will consume another "address/Zone-Range." You will not be able to add another WIRED input expander at either address 2 or 3, but can add another wireless receiver at address 3 for redundancy.

If You

1) Buy a wired input expander in the future, set it to a higher address(like 6) to allow wireless expansion.
2) Add another wireless receiver for redundancy(not more zones), set it to an address not used. In your case 3 is available.

Is a zone equal to 1 sensor?

---- YES

Am I correct that I can put them all on address 2, or is it that the receiver uses more than one address and I put the first 16 at address 2 and the rest at address 3 and so on? Or, alternatively, I am wrong on both counts.

Your wireless receiver will be set address 2 on the data bus, but will occupy BOTH address 2 AND 3 of "zone space". Every time you cross a 16 zone threshold on your wireless receiver you will consume another "address/Zone-Range." You will not be able to add another WIRED input expander at either address 2 or 3, but can add another wireless receiver at address 3 for redundancy.

If You

1) Buy a wired input expander in the future, set it to a higher address(like 6) to allow wireless expansion.
2) Add another wireless receiver for redundancy(not more zones), set it to an address not used. In your case 3 is available.

Thanks! Very clear and helpful. You should be writing the manual!

Link to ELK wireless manual below. Sorry for the confusion, those addresses are just "suggested" starting points for zones. The zone ranges I quoted are in reference to M1XIN expanders. I always go by those ranges when picking an address for the wireless receiver to avoid problems if an input expander is added later. Each wireless expander can have 144 devices and will consume 16 zones at a time. If you ever add an input expander, set it to an address for a 16-zone range that you are NOT using with the wireless expander.

Best recommendation: Set the address on the wireless expander to 2, and assume you will need 64 wireless devices, etc, at some point. Install your first(if needed) M1XIN at address 6, etc.

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1XRF_Wireless_Receiver.pdf

M1XRF Receivers: The main differences between a ELK-M1XRF Wireless Receiver and a ELK-M1XIN Zone Expander are:

1) With only a single (1) M1XRF Receiver it is possible to add up to 144 wireless zones to the control in groups of 16 at a
time. However, in order to have 144 total wireless zones the first group of 16 must begin at zone 17 and the rest of the
wireless zones must be sequential through zone 160. Caution! If any hardwired zone expanders are enrolled in the
range of zones 17 through 160 then 16 wireless zones will be lost for every hardwired (16 zone) expander.

2) It is possible to have multiple M1XRF Wireless Receivers installed for added range and coverage redundancy. The
"redundant" receivers can be assigned to any unused data bus address. For this reason the data bus address of an
M1XRF Receiver does not actually determine the starting wireless zone number. Even so, for the sake of simplicity,
installers are encouraged to set the data bus address of the first M1XRF Receiver (if there are multiple Receivers) to the
starting zone ID as depicted in Tables 1-1 and 1-2.

Thanks.

I have an M1XRF, with two wireless groups, through zone 64, available in RP. How do I increase the number of wireless zones?

Back