Elk M1G and Z-wave - how (current availability)?

jcd

Sorry folks, I KNOW this is a well-trod topic but I've been searching on the Elk forum, the Homeseer forum, and CocoonTech forum and I cannot seem to find the "simple" answer that reflects CURRENT availability on how to do this.

Coming from a fully-integrated HAI OPII (and Stargate long before this) where I have an extensive Z-wave lighting network which I am loathe to rip out and replace.

I have:
  • Elk M1G (setup and working for basic security and I/O so far)
  • HomeSeer HS4 Pro 4.2.19.0 (new - not configured yet but running on a dedicated purpose-built server)
  • HomeSeer Z-Net (new in box - never setup yet, until I can migrate the existing Z-wave network from the HAI/VRCOP, below)
  • (legacy) HAI OPII w/Leviton VRCOP Z-wave interface (this is still running my lighting routines until I can get migrated off!)
  • (legacy) Myro:home iOS software running on iPads throughout the house, which serve as the main UI for automation/security/control of the HAI OPII
This is what I know (or think I know) re: Elk Z-wave state of play:
  • Elk used to support Z-wave via a serial module that fed into the Leviton VRCOP, but is no longer available/supported.
  • HomeSeer used to support Elk M1G integration for an UltraJones plugin, which is no longer supported.
  • Elk M1G has a single serial port - currently used for the ElkRP Ethernet interface in my case. Noting this because I'm not sure how to link Elk and HomeSeer without losing the ElkRP connection... or is that fine and I can just plug it back in when changes are needed?
  • Many people (smarter than I) talk about an ISY-994iZw controller - but that seems like yet another bit of hardware and looking at the website it remains unclear to me if/what/how this solves.
What I want to accomplish ultimately:
  1. Elk M1G for core security and automation hardware (hardwired I/O & wireless security) - check!
  2. ??? Z-wave lighting control
  3. ??? for "non-essential" automation functions where I need a larger code repository than the meager rules/memory limitation of ElkRP allows
  4. ??? (software UI) that can be used on the iPad touchscreens as the primary user interface for status/actions/control
I think #3 and #4 above is/can be HomeSeer, but I need to solve for #2 and it is very unclear to me what current options are. TIA for a nudge to a current thread of thinking on this.

PS: one thing I wanted to add is that my use of hardwired I/O and Z-wave lighting control is very sensitive to speed. For example, I am using Visonic SPY-1 (1 pulse count) PIR detectors throughout the house to track motion, direction of travel, and occupancy. I have these set to "Fast Loop Response" of 20ms in Elk, and whatever solution to bridge between the hardwired I/O and getting that translated to Z-wave needs to be as fast as possible.

Last edited:
If you will use Homeseer for #3 and #4, then you might as well use Homeseer for z-wave lighting control. Homeseer has a z-wave plugin that works with your z-net, and a new generation of plugin is on the way. Personally, I don't use much z-wave because I find it flakey, but others rave about it with Homeseer.

I connect to Homeseer using the ELK ethernet interface. Yes, the Homeseer/ELK plugin is no longer supported, but it does still work with HS4. If and when the ELK plugin breaks, I am pretty sure someone will step forward to fix it because there are a lot of Homeseer+ELK users.

Another option is Home Assistant (HAss). It also connects to ELK via the ethernet module. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but it is free, has ELK integration, and z-wave integration, among many other possibilities. However, you won't find a slick user interface for HAss like HSTouch is for an iPad. By the way, news is that HSTouch may go obsolete soon also. I have started to play with Home Remote as a possible alternative.

Regarding ELKRP connection, I'm not sure why you would want ELKRP and Homeseer connected at the same time, but no, that won't work. I only open ELKRP when I want to make programming changes, otherwise the Homeseer connection is on 24/7. Oddly, I can have Homeseer and Home Assistant connected to ELK at the same time without issues.

Used Homeseer HS4 and can confirm it works well with both the Elk M1G (you use an HS3 plugin) that Mark mentioned is no longer supported. I'd last year moved to Home Assistant using a Home Assistant Yellow PoE with the Zooz 800 series ZAC 93LR Pi module (about $18.00 addition) to the Home Assistant Yellow. https://www.getzooz.com/zac93-gpio-module/

Unlike the Homeseer Elk plug-in the Elk M1 device is part of the core integrations and actively in development/support. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/elkm1/

I've even successfully used the service
  • elkm1.sensor_zone_trigger
To trigger alarm conditions for z-wave and zigbee wireless contacts and other sensors, expanding the ability to use more contact sensors to the system.

Home Assistant Yellow PoE runs off of a batttery backup powered PoE switch to ensure that it's online and able to talk to the Elk M1G and M1EXP interface even in a power outage condition.

When I built my sons house 17 years ago I set them up with the ElkM1 Gold. Also all Z-Wave lighting and door locks (3500 sqft - now 500 sqft with the basement finished). Along with that I used CQC for automation. The Elk does have the VRCOP for the interface via serial. In all the automations about 10% are via the Elk and 90% are via CQC.
Since CQC is no longer sold / supported and is near end of life since no new drivers are being developed, I decided it was time to move away from it so, since the first of the year have been migrating to Home Assistant running in a micro computer (HAOS). The Elk with the Z-Wave items all show up perfectly in the HAOS. However I realized that I also needed to move away from the VCROP so I have been migrating the Z-Wave from the Elk to a Zooz 800 Z-Wave stick connected to my HA setup. I'm taking that part slow because I remember how difficult Z-Wave can be when it comes to exclusion / inclusions etc. So far I have about 20% converted. I still use all the hard wired motion sensors and door sensors in the Elk for automations in HA.
I say this as someone who has done it both ways. I would use the Elk as security and sensors only and use another system (Home Assistant, HomeSeer, etc) for all automations. I can say that CQC was miles ahead as far as front end. Even now I may have to keep it going for the Theater Room because I haven't found a way to duplicate the screen that the family is used to run all the components.
By the way - The ISY-944iZ is also end of life (I have two of them). I don't think you can even purchase them anymore except maybe eBay. No updates for them though.

Back